I had a little Easter miracle. I fixed my sewing machine troubles all by myself. I had talked to the repair guy, who is out of town til April 4th, and we decided over the phone that the problem was my foot pedal. The machine I borrowed got returned and I was facing a week without a machine, right when my brain was in full quiltmaking mode. Hard to get it diverted into anything else when the steam is full on.
First thing Saturday morning I decided to disassemble the foot pedal and see if I could figure out why it speeds up or sews by itself. Only two little screws to undo, and yet when they were out, the thing wouldn't come apart. Grrrr. I poked around inside it with my tiny screwdiver, banged the whole thing in my hand a few times, blew into the area I had pried open, and finally gave up. I rescrewed the thing together as best as I could, but a small gap remains. Then I plugged it into my machine for a test run.
I don't know why, but it worked. Immediately I began to cut and sew and made 20 new blocks, and a length of strip pieced fabric for inserts to put between the blocks. The second recycled quilt is growing and I am CROWING with happiness.
The ears always get eaten first...Happy Easter to you and your family.