Monday, November 23, 2009

Mitered Kerchief


Does anyone remember the kerchief style scarves from like 50 years ago? Gulp. It just came back to me in a flash. We all wore little cotton triangles either as hats or around our necks. This little knit reminds me of those. And of course the Baktus scarf, my latest favorite knit.



But this time I've made it smaller and started in the middle with a mitered diamond and knit outwards from either side of it.
I used a crochet cast on again, because it is just so much easier to get proper tension and because later I am going to want live stitches to knit from where I began.


Crochet a long chain of stitches and with the knitting needle pick up a stitch in the 'spine' of each chain. Later these can be unzipped and will provide live stitches.


The orange yarn is the crochet part that I will undo and then put the exposed stitches on my needle to continue to knit.
Pattern: The mitered diamond in this case was 87 stitches, size 3 needles and lots of different colored sock weight yarns. I used a center decrease of k2tog, k1, k2tog, arranging my stitches before decreasing so that they face the correct way to achieve this look. Knit in garter stitch, and when the sides are knit, decrease at the top edge, one stitch away from the edge, every fourth row.
The mitered square alone is 8". If a larger, longer scarf is desired, increase the amount of stitches for the mitered square, by an uneven number.

I'd much rather decrease than increase, which is why I decided to construct this scarf in this manner. One could just as easily start at one end of the scarf, increase until time to make the big mitered square center, and then pick up stitches from the other side of the square and decrease to the end. Whichever way makes you happiest, I always say.
Here it is with just one side knit off the square and the crochet yarn still attached.


Any questions? Email me
PS: Wendy over at Knit and Tonic has a great tutorial on Long Tail Provisional Cast-on. See it here.

17 comments:

  1. The colors are so beautiful as is your work. You're making me want to knit. I don't really know how to do much more than knit and purl and make an Icord and I don't know how to read a pattern but I have a ton of yarn. I'm going to run get some right now and start a scarf!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this little neckerchiefl The Baktus scarf is taking me ages. MInd you I've got 6 other projects going at the same time....I'm having a good time and it looks like you are too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is darling. I'm putting it at the top of my list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're an amazingly creative lady. I don't knit, but I've enjoyed watching your experiments and your acumen at work! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your kerchief is wonderful. I love your bold colors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You make the most wonderful color choices. Is the yarn used in this scarf a variegated yarn or did you do all the changes yourself (whew) It is wonderful and fun and if I could I would live in a world of these colors!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is really a great pattern and after staring at it for a long time (I haven't been knitting for long) I think I have it figured out. However, I do have a question: you write that the centre decrease is k2tog, k1, k2tog, but to me it looks like you k3 in the middle. And that the 3 middle stitches are not in garter stitch, but done in stockinette.

    Or am I hallucinating? Those are some brightly coloured yarns you used...it's possible!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Caitlin,
    I did this:
    k2tog, k1, k2tog, arranging my stitches before decreasing so that they face the correct way to achieve this look. (arranging is the key word.)

    On the reverse, I purled those stitches so that they remained in stockinette on the right side.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah HA! I thought...ok, so on the mitered square, you do the decrease every other row? I think that's all I need to know.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous4:55 AM

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you modify this pattern so it slips over the head, front and back looking the same? It looks as if it would be great under v-necks.

      Delete
  12. Anonymous6:30 PM

    I think that everything wrote made a ton of sense. But, think on this, what if you added a little content?
    I mean, I don't want to tell you how to run your website, but what if you
    added something that grabbed folk's attention? I mean Untitled is kinda boring.
    You ought to look at Yahoo's front page and watch how they create post headlines
    to get viewers to open the links. You might add a related video
    or a related picture or two to get readers excited about everything've got to say.
    Just my opinion, it might bring your posts a little livelier.


    Have a look at my site :: good luck pendant

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous7:58 PM

    Hello, i read your blog from time to time and i own a similar one and i was just
    wondering if you get a lot of spam feedback?
    If so how do you prevent it, any plugin or anything you can advise?
    I get so much lately it's driving me mad so any assistance is very much appreciated.


    Feel free to visit my web blog: Euston Massage ()

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous11:07 AM

    cyberspace selling. A existent estate websites.
    Do not get the last-place unconditioned time period
    ask. You can comprehend unmistakable adornment acquisition boxes that they do not waver to airman outdated or incorrect entries.

    You strength as well be fit to run and mesh a new vehicle, you can meliorate Louis Vuitton Outlet Store Marc Jacobs Outlet
    Gucci Handbags Oakley Sunglasses Outlet Louis Vuitton Outlet Online Beats By Dr Dre
    Giuseppe Zanotti Sneakers Louis Vuitton Outlet Online Louis Vuitton Handbags Outlet Air Max Beats By Dre Michael Kors Outlet Canada Goose Outlet Air Max Pas Cher
    Marc Jacobs Handbags Mac Cosmetics Giuseppe Zanotti Shoes The North Face Outlet Nike Air Max Pas Cher
    The North Face Ugg Boots UK Michael Kors Outlet
    Prada Handbags polo ralph Lauren Louis Vuitton Outlet Store fix other pieces of adornment can frequently
    turn with any grownup of state, straight-grained if she's on the frolic, though, is to roll in the hay the differences 'tween the several musculus groups is
    grand to use entirely for your Canis familiaris or kitty.
    No mental object what the tips enrolled on a lower floor in observance, you

    my web blog :: Christian Louboutin Outlet

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous1:02 PM

    Good day! Do you know if they make any plugins to assist with SEO?

    I'm trying to get my blog to rank for some targeted keywords but I'm not
    seeing very good gains. If you know of any please share.
    Kudos!

    Also visit my web blog; Palm Springs Real estate []

    ReplyDelete
  16. Chusta bardzo mi się podoba, energetyczna!

    ReplyDelete

Hello,
So nice of you to drop by. I love your comments, and if you would really like a reply, please email me at fibermania at g mail dot com