Saturday, November 21, 2009

Cowlabunga !


It feels like playing dress-up with color. I needed an all purpose neckwarmer that would go with anything in my wardrobe and this fills the bill. Purples, pinks, orangey reds, aqua, green, lavender. Just about everything but yellow.

Wear it loose or fastened and feature the color of the garment or its contrast.


Knit in seed stitch it integrates the changing yarns for a better blend. I used alternating hand dyed yarns, two rows of each and changed colors every 2"-3". This left me with lots of ends to weave in, but worth it.



Pattern: Leftover merino hand dyed sock yarns, such as Koigu, Sophie's Toes or Yarn2dye4
Size 3 Addi turbo circular needles
Crochet cast on 60 stitches to facilitate the three needle bind off at the end.
Knit in Seed Stitch: Right side-K1, P1, Wrong side-P1,K1, until desired length.
Join with three needle bind off.

19 comments:

  1. Another lovely pattern - thank you! Just back from UK Knitting & Stitching Show with yarn for your previous cowl pattern, in fact.
    Had to look up "frog" just now, a term I had never heard (after a lifetime of knitting) - hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my . . .
    Just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:40 PM

    I think you have a real winner, this time.
    Marken

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this... what needle size and weight?

    ReplyDelete
  5. What you can do with yarn just amazes me!! :) You make things so quickly you must have "smokin'" needles...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this is beautiful and that it looks quite wearable, probably because yellow is not very flattering for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Melody,
    Where can I find info on the 3 needle bind off stitch? And how many rows did you do....any idea how many skeins it might take?
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous11:08 AM

    Now, this is pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this one.
    With so many ends to weave in do you ever work them in Kaffe Fassett style as you knit?
    Wind myself doing this more and more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Linda Lee4:47 PM

    I have a "cold neck," and am thrilled by your creative use of color and design. I love baktus and kerchief scarves, because they have no dangling ends. As a novelist, I spend hours at the computer and, if my neck gets cold, I need pain pills! Results from childhood auto accident, alas. I'll be busy knitting your fabulous designs in 2010. Thanks! p.s. I'm a Tennessean by birth - welcome!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. thank you for your post

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous2:21 PM

    this post is very usefull thx!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have a "cold neck," and am thrilled by your creative use of color and design. I love baktus and kerchief scarves, türk tarihi because they have no dangling ends. As a novelist, I spend hours at the computer and, if my neck gets cold, I need pain pills! Results from childhood auto accident, alas. I'll be busy .sınıfmemurlar biz

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just started making this scarf. Nice and easy, my favorite! But I haven't got a clue how to do the "join with the 3 needle cast off". There wouldn't happen to be instructions or a video would there???

    ReplyDelete

Hello,
So nice of you to drop by. I love your comments, and if you would really like a reply, please email me at fibermania at g mail dot com