Here is what I am calling the matrix, a background pieced layer, which I am going to cut into strips and insert solids between.
I determined that the size wasn't going to end up wide enough, so I added about 10 inches more to the height. Doesn't that sound confusing? Well, the width will grow with the inserted strips, but the finished dimension will be the same from this top to this bottom if I didn't add more to it.
Having done this addition before cutting the matrix into strips meant that I also had to add more length to the inserted strips. It all becomes clear in the sewn sections below.
The verticals each have contrasting ends, sewn before inserting.
I mentioned varying the width of my insertions in the post from yesterday, but immediately changed my mind when I started sewing. There needed to be something constant, and I am certain the inserted strips were it.
I am about 1/3 of the way done with this section of the quilt, and I am piecing it in sections, and will quilt it by flip and sew. I'll show that again here, when it happens.
I have decided that my local quilt group and I are marching to different drummers. No surprise, but a bit of disappointment on my end. They were lovely to me, but their focus is on hand quilting 'pioneer style' quilts and sticking hard to tradition. Nothing happens at the meetings but hand quilting, from 9-12. No show and tell and no bright colors. Sigh. I wouldn't be able to bring them over to my side and they couldn't bring me over to theirs, so....nevermind.