I was all set to make a new quilt top today, deciding on a color scheme and choosing my fabric, when I decided to look through my favorites on Flickr for inspiration. While I was there, I reviewed some of my old work and found an unquilted top made in 2010 that I was saving for my 'heirs' to discover and quilt, Ha! Truth be told, I had made a bunch of tops in a fury of piecing and had no interest in quilting any of them at the time. But now...now that I have QAYG in my repertoire, I can joyfully attack a piece like this and git 'er'done.
In order not to have a big bulky piece under the needle I had to disassemble the top slightly into small segments, and while I was at it, I added some pieces to the width. I broke it down into three sections, sandwiched and pinned them and began quilting. It was an all day affair, and I finished all but the binding by 5pm.
Here's the quilted top and the unquilted top together so you can see the additions, or not. I know they are there and it's hard for me to see the new parts. Oops, I flipped some of the sections upside down too, so nevermind...
Anyway, it measures 60x70" and I will bind it later. But the cool part is that even tho it wasn't designed as a QAYG I was able to use narrow connecting strips to join the three segments almost unnoticeably. Excuse me while I congratulate myself over this discovery.
I am giving this to Dave as he has a birthday later this month. Of course it won't be a surprise, but he says he likes it, so that's a relief.