Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Mr. Mulch

Here's Dave, a man with a mission and the mission is MULCH. We are lucky to live within an hour or less of two massive mulch deposits. Free mulch for the digging! Dave goes out whenever he has nothing better to do, rain or shine and loads up the specially rigged trailer, and fills it with wood chips, usually fragrant pine. What does he do with all those chips?


 He makes paths, drives, edges, weed barriers and wet spot fills. Our back yard is covered with mulch, and that means no weak, pitiful grass to mow. We have plenty of good grass in other spots. Wherever nothing but weeds will grow, mulch now covers.
 Eventually the mulch decays and becomes one with the earth, forming something like soil.
And it gives us something unmuddy to walk on.

It keeps the weeds to to a minimum and keeps the plant roots moist and cool.
 It defines the shady areas, and as you can see, it disappears after a season, meaning more mulch is needed.

The dawgs greet the returning Dave.



Posted by Picasa

8 comments:

  1. That is so cool! A mulch pile free for the digging... who knew? But it does make a difference! Good guy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am enjoying a cup of tea and taking a little break from my office work to enjoy looking at your lovely property and gardens. I don't think I've commented before but I enjoy seeing the photos of not only your marvelous knitting and quilting, but of the gardens, ponds, and the dawgs, of course. Thanks for sharing. Makes me want to move from the Midwest to the South where I think the growing looks a lot better. Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So jealous of your great mulcher Dave! At our house it's me so I never have enough, I just wear out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your property looks gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't believe you get free mulch. I want to mulch the backyard so badly but it would take lots of truck loads and lots of work. I am going to search around and see if anyone does this like the city? Your gardens and paths sure look grand.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Free mulch!!!! WOW!!! We have "two scoops" delivered every year for our yard at around $180!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL - at home we can get free mulch for the digging at the local transfer station.
    Except if we pay $10, a big front loader will fill the trailer up.... it is a lot less effort 8-)

    ReplyDelete

Hello,
So nice of you to drop by. I love your comments, and if you would really like a reply, please email me at fibermania at g mail dot com