The first several hours of quilting on the new piece were a struggle. Why? Because the quilt kept sliding off my table. Then suddenly it dawned on me to turn the table around and Voila! everything was instantly improved. Duh. I also moved my lamp and added a TV table along side to hold my threads and remotes (must have remotes). So much better, and so compact.
Since the design is divided into quarters, I am also quilting it that way, and so I am about 3/4 done. For this piece I decided to add a backing fabric that is very thin and similar to scrim. I will finish this quilting and then put a lining fabric on that covers all the stop and starts that this type of quilting makes: thread blobs.
Then I plan to face it rather than bind it. That will make a nice edge.
Everyone missed me out in the studio so they all came in for a visit and family portrait.
|My thread catcher is one of those silverware caddies that magnetically sticks to the side of a sink. I stuck mine on with packing tape and use it to keep my suture scissors handy, as well as to stick in the loose threads.|