Friday, April 09, 2010

Red Stitches
Red Stitches
Hand dyed and commercial cottons, machine pieced, hand and machine quilted. 16" square. $250 Email me.

 I was experiencing the 'slows' and liked the idea of doing a bit of hand work, where I could put up my feet and stitch away. The weather was rainy and just lovely, soaking everything deeply and keeping the bright sun hidden. I snoozed in and out, but came back later to finish this piece. So glad I did.
Detail shows the embroidery. 
It seems I am on a red kick, with several of my recent works featuring that color.


We found this bird's nest in our driveway, no doubt blown out of its perch by the storm. Amazing that it stayed intact. 

I always buy seeds in the Spring, and silly
me, toss them around the yard hoping they will sprout just where I want them to grow. I have had Sunflowers grow in the strangest places (shade garden) just because the bird feeder is full of seeds and the birds drop them. This time I am planting them purposefully. I am also going to try larkspur again. But reading the packet, it states that it will take weeks for them to sprout. Weeks? Hmm. Seems to me they will need a little help. I will use my stand by method: A small plate with a wet paper towel. Sprinkle the seeds onto the towel and cover with plastic wrap. Set in a warm spot and wait.
I'll keep you posted.
Malka Dubrawsky has organized a fun project, a potholder swap. I have joined, and will be fooling around with small bits. Stay tuned.

6 comments:

  1. Hmmmmm - I like the combining of machine and hand quilting together. My hand quilting is still on the larger side of stitching and a little inconsistent, I should really work on it more. Thanks for the incentive.

    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice hand quilting -- no point in doing it if it doesn't show - imho.

    Was that "big thread" aka perle cotton that you used?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here in Georgia, we scatter Larkspur seeds in the Fall (also poppy seeds) and they bloom beautifully the following Spring. I'll be interested to see how your method works.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4:02 PM

    What do you mean, you're on a red kick? When do you NOT use red? ;-) ANyway, it's lovely, the hand quilted swirlies really make it zing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did your wet paper towel method last year for my moonflowers and they came up much sooner and flowered much sooner in the season. Delightful!
    Love the new art! Gelato colors are a current fav.

    ReplyDelete

Hello,
So nice of you to drop by. I love your comments, and if you would really like a reply, please email me at fibermania at g mail dot com