Tuesday, February 09, 2010


QAWM: Day 9
Big Red
This is more like it size-wise, for me. 39" square before quilting. I think I will be quilting this after QAWM is finished. The details like the thin yellow strip and the black edge along the red striped fabric are what I like the best.
The seriously vintage purple/black stripe is subtle from a distance, but is just the right  thing to repeat this fabric. As far as the design is concerned, this is really different for me, but then that is fun too. Matching lines, and seams was a real stretch, and something I haven't been concerned with for years.
I considered adding more to this to make it bigger but rethought this idea. It is big enough for a wall quilt, and it is more suited for that than a functional quilt.

I ended up with leftovers (scraps) and that made me realize that I have to find some nice boxes to fit the shelves where I can put these for future use. I will be going to town tomorrow and will begin my search. I want them to be more than just functional. Now that I have a beautiful quilt fabric corner I want to have decorative storage as well.

11 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:39 PM

    WOW! That was fun to open your blog and see this. It made me gasp. Kinda reminds me of your Hidden Wells. Awesome! Dre in WA

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks wonderful, love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sharon5:59 PM

    I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome as usual!
    It reminds me of a kaleidoscope!
    You must be having a blast with these!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is really stunning! I love red and this just makes the reds sing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No denying, there is the WOW! factor.
    You've met the challenge of matchy-matchy.
    Thirty-nine square is just the right size to quilt.
    This is just Great ! ! !
    I'm almost finished with the leftover string strips. Then on to something better.
    Hugs,
    Gerry

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally love this!
    Such great work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfect size for a wall hanging. It is so bright and eye appealing. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like this alot. Perfect timing for Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous9:21 AM

    Nice boxes? Look at T.J.Maxx, they sell nice, fabric covered boxes in various sizes. Love your shelves, too-I have a similar setup but the fabric would get dusty and faded. I just took a long length of something pretty (batik)and secured it by topping it with some books on the top shelf. I can easily swoop the fabric to the side for easy viewing when I need to. Thanks Melody!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Melody,

    I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE 'Big Red'! The colors are fabulous and it is a standout.

    I also really like the other quilt you showed a few posts ago.

    Kristin F. in SC

    ReplyDelete

Hello,
So nice of you to drop by. I love your comments, and if you would really like a reply, please email me at fibermania at g mail dot com