Tuesday, March 06, 2007



I am so PROUD


=



I am so proud of my little sister Brooke, who no doubt hates being referred to as such. Her newest work is so wonderful that you must skip right over to see it.


She has always been crafty, creative, and an autodidact (!) and in the past a bit scattered (haven't we all?) and recently she decided to challenge herself to a quilt a week. Being a fellow fuser has enabled this grand goal.


Since she is isolated in Singapore, altho there are quilt shops there, she is using hand dyed fabrics, which are not available down the lane or even online (easily) so she is relying on the stuff I sent home with her on her last summer's visit. Having a limited supply makes everything so precious, but I can see it is helping her focus on specific color schemes, which puts her years ahead of where I was at her age.




To make the challenge greater she has purchased the book, Art Quilts, and is using the work as a tutorial, making quilts that are inspired by the best artists. It is a great idea, and as she finishes each one she is learning so much.



Her first fused quilt, circa 2001?




5 comments:

  1. Talent obviously runs in your family

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:39 PM

    It muist be genetic. She is doing some grea stuff. I adore the folk arty houses in her first fused quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What kind things you say about me. Although, I had to ask the walking dictionary what autodidact meant.

    Yes, I think that quilt was made in 2001. January.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know Brooke has moved on from this quilt but I still love it! So bright and cheery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:10 AM

    Hey, Mel,

    Saw you on PBS this past Saturday, and it was really cool! You,Laura, Emily, and Frieda ought to take your singing on the road.

    But it was nice to hear what you sounded like. I met Laura at Paducah last year, and saw her on Simply Quilts a few times.

    Good job!

    ReplyDelete

Hello,
So nice of you to drop by. I love your comments, and if you would really like a reply, please email me at fibermania at g mail dot com