Wednesday, September 06, 2006

My Hobbies

I have painted since I was a little girl, on and off. I taught myself to use oils from one of those Walter Foster paperback books. I thought painting in oils proved you were an artist. Ha! Well, I was only a kid. I did pretty good stuff, and wonder what landfill base it forms today.

My paintings were always representational and I aimed for realism. I got better at it the more I painted, handling the paint, figuring out how to glaze, etc. In the last year of my undergraduate degree I went to see an exhibit of Chuck Close's paintings at the old Museum of Contemporary Art in Chicago and that ended my interest in realism. Here is a painting of Kate Moss, as if we need to see anymore of her face...


You really can't get much better than this. Then to make matters worse, he devised an even more interesting looking result with pattern.

I LOVE these kinds of paintings. Did I mention they are huge?

Anyway, I quit painting then. Just quit. Got my painting degree, packed up my canvasses and started making my first quilt.

But I hated being a quitter. That's Q U I TT E R, not quilter. I love being a quilter. But still there is that need to paint in the old soul and so I gathered new supplies and huge primed canvasses (on sale at Joann's where I was already gathering yarn, O geesh) and got back into painting. You who read this blog have seen this happen this year, and last.

Well, I had to clean up my studio from this week's great giveaway mess and what to do with my canvasses?? I have a couple of finished paintings, in no way gems, and I have no place to put them, since they aren't wall worthy. They could be painted over, since I am striving to get something different than what I have painted on the first go round.

Learning means moving past the first several attempts, and I have learned it is often try try again before satisfying results appear.

So I have found a safe dry place for the canvas, under the stairs . Right next to the boxes of Christmas ornaments and the fake trees. It is just a teeny bit difficult to extract one canvas without moving a few other things first. You can bet that it will take more than a whim to get me to pull one out.

The same goes for the yarn that I neatly gathered into multiple Rubbermaid bins yesterday. I was going to sort them by type and content or color, but eventually I just threw on the lids and stacked them on the shelves.

The whole idea was to have a way to use these supplies easily and have a place to keep them protected and off the floor. I don't think I have conquered this challenge yet.

5 comments:

  1. This kinda reminds me of a story my dad always told me from his years in art school. One of his teachers had the class spend a considerable amount of time on a drawing, and then when they thought it was finished, he made them erase it, turn it upside down and start fresh on a new drawing. The aim? To not treat our art as too precious to rework. I think you should slap a bit of primer on your not wall worthy canvases and start fresh when the inspiration hits. Maybe the bits of the old paintings showing though will add a richness or inspiration to the new. Yea, me and my two cents, what do I know? I do think of the story every time I contemplate ripping out stitches in a quilt though. When in doubt, rip it out (or cut it up)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This kinda reminds me of a story my dad always told me from his years in art school. One of his teachers had the class spend a considerable amount of time on a drawing, and then when they thought it was finished, he made them erase it, turn it upside down and start fresh on a new drawing. The aim? To not treat our art as too precious to rework. I think you should slap a bit of primer on your not wall worthy canvases and start fresh when the inspiration hits. Maybe the bits of the old paintings showing though will add a richness or inspiration to the new. Yea, me and my two cents, what do I know? I do think of the story every time I contemplate ripping out stitches in a quilt though. When in doubt, rip it out (or cut it up)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That second painting has a quilting type effect doesn't it? Hmmmm. I know the feeling about the painting. I painted my way through high school and two years of college and then putit up. I bought myself an easel a year ago. Not a compact and neat as yours. Painted two paintings and got frustrated...now what to do. Back to knitting. They are now reprimed...waiting for inspiration. I think I will clean this weekend instead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You didn't really say what made you quit. Where these so good you felt that they couldn't be bettered? You often talk about realism in a not so complimentary way, I wonder why it still bothers you? Personally the painting of Kate Moss is exactly what I don't like about realism. Copying the out of focus quality that only a camera can see - why bother painting it? But realism is not a Bad Thing. It's just not your thing. I don't do abstract but I don't slag it off. Every well executed art work enriches our lives in some way, show us the world through anothers eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. msn nickleri
    msn nickleri
    msn nickleri
    msn nickleri
    msn nickleri
    msn nickleri
    şekilli msn nickleri
    şekilli nickler
    güzel msn nickleri
    frmtr
    msn nickleri


    free link directory
    e-directorylive
    msn nickleri
    msn nickleri
    test atölyesi
    testatölyesi
    test atölyesi
    testatölyesi
    Msn Nickleri
    free warez
    Msn avatarları
    free wordpress templates
    free wordpress themes
    free wp themes
    free wp themes
    free wp templates
    blogger tips template
    blogger template
    blogger themes
    free blogger templates
    free blogger themes
    wordpress templates
    blogger templates

    sandbox
    msn nickleri
    webmaster
    iyinet webmaster forumu 2008 seo yarışması
    dmoz
    iyinet webmaster forumu 2008 seo yarışması
    msn nickleri
    iyinet webmaster forumu 2008 seo yarışması
    iyinet webmaster forumu 2008 seo yarışması
    iyinet webmaster forumu 2008 seo yarışması
    iyinet webmaster forumu 2008 seo yarışması
    iyinet webmaster forumu 2008 seo yarışması
    iyinet webmaster forumu 2008 seo yarışması
    iyinet webmaster forumu 2008 seo yarışması
    iyinet webmaster forumu 2008 seo yarışması
    iyinet webmaster forumu 2008 seo yarışması
    iyinet webmaster forumu 2008 seo yarışması
    iyinet webmaster forumu 2008 seo yarışması

    dmoz
    alexa
    alparslan pehlivan
    seo uzmanı
    seo
    iyinet webmaster forumu 2008 seo yarışması



    msn nickleri
    msn nickleri
    freewaresmania
    msn nickleri
    msn
    msn nickleri
    msn nickleri
    msn nickleri
    msn nickleri
    msn nickleri
    msn nickleri
    msn nickleri
    msn nickleri
    todd livingston
    aşk şiirleri
    aşk şiirleri
    haberler
    haberler
    evden eve nakliyat
    evden eve nakliyat
    e-okul
    health articles
    msn nickleri
    msn nickleri
    msn nickleri
    credito
    pret
    msn nicknames
    msn nickleri
    msn nickleri
    hilary duff
    lazer epilasyon
    lazer epilasyon
    ramazan ayı
    msn nickleri
    msn spitznamen
    msn nickleri
    hayal bahçesi
    şarkı sözleri
    seo yarışması
    msn nickleri
    gafoloji
    msn nickleri
    msn nickleri


    msn nickleri
    tsubasa
    ev dekorasyon

    msn nickleri

    yeni msn nickleri

    msn avatarları

    komik msn nickleri

    delikanlı msn nickleri

    güzel msn avatarları

    şekilli msn nickleri

    msn avatarları

    beşiktaş nickleri
    aşk sevgi nickleri
    duygusal msn nickleri
    damardan nickler
    dini nickler
    nefret nickleri
    nickler
    rap nickleri
    webmaster
    backlink
    kaiser_dealxa
    alparslan pehlivan
    pagerank
    seo
    msn nickleri
    romantik nickler
    yalnızlık nickleri
    yazılı msn avatarları
    yeni msn nickler

    dantel örgü modelleri
    dantel oya modelleri
    webmaster
    alexa
    supremacyshowtime
    aşk nickleri
    bebek nickleri
    msn avatarları
    webmaster
    Kahraman Türkler
    civciv
    hayalbahcesi
    Msn Nickleri
    msn ifadeleri
    Msn Nickleri
    Msn Nickleri
    msn nickleri
    toddplivingston
    msn nickleri
    msn nickleri
    msn nickleri
    basketbol
    borsa
    haberler
    spor
    müzik
    iç haberler
    futbol
    yusuf
    yusuf
    yusuf
    leylek
    msn nickleri
    msn nickleri
    health articles
    gaftv
    gafoloji
    warez



    [code]Msn Nickleri[/code][code]
    webmaster[/code][code]
    Kahraman Türkler[/code][code]
    civciv[/code][code]
    hayalbahcesi[/code][code]
    Msn Nickleri[/code][code]
    msn ifadeleri[/code][code]
    Msn Nickleri[/code][code]
    Msn Nickleri[/code][code]
    msn nickleri[/code][code]
    toddplivingston[/code][code]
    msn nickleri[/code][code]
    msn nickleri[/code][code]
    msn nickleri[/code]
    [code]
    msn nickleri[/code]
    [code]
    basketbol[/code]
    [code]
    borsa[/code]
    [code]
    dış haberler[/code]
    [code]
    futbol[/code]
    [code]
    haberler[/code]
    [code]
    iç haberler[/code]
    [code]
    müzik[/code]
    [code]
    spor[/code]
    [code]
    voleybol[/code]
    [code]
    tarih[/code]
    [code]
    teknoloji[/code]
    [code]
    blogger themes[/code]
    [code]
    blogy navideno themes[/code]
    [code]
    msn nickleri[/code]
    [code]
    darlehen[/code]
    [code]
    health articles[/code]
    [code]
    grup hepsi[/code]


    "iyinet webmaster forumu 2008 seo yarışması"

    Msn avatarları


    "iyinet webmaster forumu 2008 seo yarışması"

    "iyinet webmaster forumu 2008 seo yarışması"

    msn

    hayalbahcesi
    forum merkezi
    muhabbet
    oyun merkezi
    genel bilgiler
    -
    hayalbahcesi

    hayalbahcesi
    hayalbahcesi
    hayalbahcesi
    hayalbahcesi
    hayalbahcesi
    hayalbahcesi
    hayalbahcesi
    hayalbahcesi
    hayalbahcesi
    forum
    komik
    msn avatarları
    tsubasa
    vbulletin
    aşk
    sevgi
    msn nickleri

    ReplyDelete

Hello,
So nice of you to drop by. I love your comments, and if you would really like a reply, please email me at fibermania at g mail dot com