Monday, February 07, 2005

Finished Project-Diamond Patch Vest



Original Adaptation from the Shawl Collar Vest, page 67.

Am I stuck on mitered squares and diamond patches? Well, yes. I loved this sweater vest when I saw it made up by my student Rhonda Rose in New Albany IN last month.
I knew the pattern was in the library book 25 Gorgeous Sweaters for the Brand New Knitter. The book used a single colorway of hand dyed yarn but failed to provide a yardage amount, so I just dove in, figuring three big skeins of 193 yards each would be enough. Wrong. When the back started using the second skein I knew I would have to come up with a fix. In my stash I had more yarns (in different fiber contents but similar pinks in lighter values) and figured I could combine them to make a more interesting front and would use the Horst Schultz method of knitting vertically on the picked up stitches along a previously knit strip. The only sewing necessary was the shoulder and side seams.
I'm pretty happy with the result and happen to have a turtleneck that may be a close enough pink to pass...
I made some I-cord as a tie, since I prefer a closed vest over one that flops open all the time.
Now I am back in bed, trying to breathe. I shall have to disinfect this sweater since it must be loaded with germs from me handling it for the last several days. Yuck.
Now back to the Noro Kureyon Poncho...

2 comments:

  1. Melody!!!! Thanks for visiting my blog. I'm honored. My daughters both have blogs and have wantd me to join them so that we can share our artistic endeavors. Love the vest. I can just picture you wearing it. You should wear it right now then you would be in the pink rather than in the bed, sick!! Hope you feel better, soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:10 PM

    Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. » »

    ReplyDelete

Hello,
So nice of you to drop by. I love your comments, and if you would really like a reply, please email me at fibermania at g mail dot com