I liked the idea so I set about to make a series. I had already done Painted Quilt #2, but it was a different size, so I went with all 12x12 panels for the new work.
Here is Painted Quilts #1, and then #3, #4.
Acrylic, stamping, collage, ink on watercolor paper, mounted on cradled wood panel, 12x12x1"
And then lined up in a row.
I chose a half yard of my hand dyed ombre cotton so I would have enough value contrast. I made a few plus blocks and some strip pieced parts and then then tried to find a way to arrange them that worked. That's really the part that I like doing the best. I am especially happy when I can get the parts to line up exactly. Since I didn't bother to measure anything or plan this design, the fact that some seams actually meet is a little miracle. ha!
There was some suggestion at our guild meeting that the small works done at the Gwen Marston workshop were just sketches and could be developed into larger quilts. I like the idea of small works, as you know. I don't feel they need to be made larger, or to think of them as preliminary to something else.
On Wednesday I had a lunch date with my friend Mary but made a small pieced top early, before I left. While I like most of it, the upper right hand corner is too wonky to 'go' with the rest of the top, so I will take that out and replace it.
The part I really like is the big red square and then the tiny periwinkle shapes. So tasty.
I'm happy that my studio is now working for both painting and sewing. After I did the two painted collages, I cleaned up the paint supplies and took a long nap and then came back to sew in the late afternoon. These naps are becoming a daily habit again, and making me more productive.