Wednesday, July 03, 2013

A Dishwashing Revolution




I  don't have a dishwasher, and I try not to complain, but there are days when I just don't have time or really, want to wash dishes and since I own about 20 sets of Corelle, the dirty dishes can really pile up. The other day I tackled a week's worth and as I washed, I thought about camping. Yes, camping, where you bring just enough dishes to eat on, and then they get washed and are ready for the next meal. (btw, I LOATHE camping).



What a concept! I think this could work. I also have a detergent wand, which leaks, but still, could be used to add suds when needed.
Kitchen Scouring Pad and Soap Dispensing Wand Royalty Free Stock Images So I put away all the excess bowls and plates and have just four of each on my open shelves. I put the scrubber in an empty plastic ice cream bucket and even tho it leaked all the soap contents into the bucket, it still works. The proof is in the drainer. I put away all the just washed dishes in less than five seconds. I think I'm on to something!
I did ask Dave for his cooperation on this challenge, which doesn't mean he will wash his own dishes, but hopefully he will bring the dirty ones down from his room, daily. He's a nighttime eater. Sigh.
+++++
On another note: It has been such a rainy summer THANKFULLY. And I don't have that task of trying to keep everything alive by hand watering.
But the lushness of the garden has spawned the nastiest eaters. My newly blossomed coneflowers are just hanging on with tiny black caterpillars and grasshoppers feasting on them. Grrr.





Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

  1. I actually like camping, and one of the things I like about it is the minimalism. Like you said, there's only enough dishes for one meal, and so they have to be washed. I wish I could apply that same minimalism to my sewing room!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're on to something here, dishes wise. Since I am retired and living in the boonies, I have done the same with my clothing. The only thing I have a load of are underwear. My two pairs of jeans, two pairs of jammies and two pairs of shorts plus 7 t shirts are all I need for a week. When the t shirts are used up, I absolutely must wash the clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew a woman who would wash her dishes after every meal, and then set the table for the next meal with those dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol. Had to comment. I have stored away excess dishes too. Don't forget to do it with the flatware too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Genau diesen Trockenständer von Ikea habe ich auch in meiner Küche stehen und genieße es sehr, ihn zu haben. Er ist so praktisch. Liebe Grüßen von Ate

    Just this drying rack from Ikea I stand in my kitchen and enjoy it, to have him. It is so convenient. Love greetings from Ate

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous7:15 PM

    Well, M dear, I have a zillion dishes and would love to have your dish drain to line them up.... do you remember where you got it???? Itching in Texas... we have extra bugs this summer as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought . . . everyone took paper plates camping. Am I the only one?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a dishwasher, but don't use it much. I usually wash them about once or twice a day. I don't cook much now either. We are not going to have tomatoes this year. The blossoms just fall off. What's with that? Sorry about you beloved dog. So, sad.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chris9:43 AM

    Hi I am away on holiday and have just seen your post about poor Chester and poor you I was so sad for you I remember laughing as your Chester and my son celebrated the same birthday. Will you get another dog? I love your work I love bright colours and have tried to tone my work down but when I see your work I feel why am I doing that when your colours are so marvellous much love chris xx

    ReplyDelete

Hello,
So nice of you to drop by. I love your comments, and if you would really like a reply, please email me at fibermania at g mail dot com