When my sister Brooke was visiting Sunday, we browsed through some of my hand dyed fabrics and ended up looking at some really old pieces from the early 90's. In those days I wanted large background fabrics for fused quilts, and decided to dye on our ping pong table, in our walk out lower level. I found a sheet of vinyl flooring at Home Depot to cover the ping pong table (60x108") and spread out my three yard x 60" fabrics on the surface. Then I poured the dyes on the presoaked fabric and watched the air bubbles form, and the excess dyes drip onto the floor. It made a mess every time. I didn't think to put two or more layers of fabric on the table at once, thus absorbing the excess dyes. That idea came much later, after I had finally given up the ping pong table idea.
I made lots of these background fabrics and then made lots of quilts using the watercolor effects of the surface for interest.
As I opened the fabrics to look at them again, knowing I am not going to be making larger works anymore (seriously, not gonna do it) I wondered what I could do with this fabric, besides putting it back on the shelves. Then the size of it dawned on me. It is a twin bed size! So I tried one piece out while I washed my bedsheets and it worked. It may look like a hippie bed, but it was fun to bring out the old colors, and relive my glory days.