Monday, November 26, 2012

Trapeze Cardi


An in progress shot of my newest top down raglan knit, Trapeze Cardi. I decided to add some increases down the center back, after the shoulder stitches were finished. I was looking to make the back a bit longer and fuller and as you can see, those increases did the trick. I also used increases on the side 'seams' too. Both were made every six rows, and were double sets, or kfb, before and after the markers.



Here it is finished, front and back view. While the shape is quite evident when pinned to the wall like this, the knit itself hangs evenly when worn. Actually this is the unblocked version, which will get blocked today.

I am having such fun with doubled sock yarns, and this one uses fingering yarns with Zara Baby merino as well as lots of leftover balls of sock yarn, including some of my hand dyed fingering yarns. Size 8 needles.



Why I love knitting with sock yarns:

1. loving the color changes since some of the yarns are self patterning, or are variegated. It gives a tweedy result and blends beautifully.
2. sock yarns tend to have a tighter twist which results in less pilling and more spring to the fabric.
3. reducing the amount of sock yarn in my stash, along with some dk that just never was enough for another project.
4. somehow this seems more frugal and therefore opens up the possibility for experimentation.
5. machine washable and dryable, if I should ever need to do that.
6. no need to worry about dyelot!
7. fast fast fast.

4 comments:

  1. Soooo cute! I love the colors, of course, and the buttons are perfect! You are obviously having so much fun and I love watching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this cardi. I also just love knitting with sock yarn - for the exactly same reasons as you. For kids stuff it's great as it's much harder wearing, but not rough to the touch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:39 AM

    Hmm is anyone else encountering problems with the images on this
    blog loading? I'm trying to figure out if its a problem on my end or if it's the blog.

    Any feed-back would be greatly appreciated.
    Also see my page > borkum riff

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great colors. I love sock yarn too. I am assuming that you doubled the yarn while knitting? Great idea for using up all those leftovers and I love the textures and colors and patterns the various yarns create.

    ReplyDelete

Hello,
So nice of you to drop by. I love your comments, and if you would really like a reply, please email me at fibermania at g mail dot com