Remember these chairs from earlier this Spring? I checked and saw that I got them in the middle of March. They are supposed to be outdoor furniture, to be left out in the rain, and to be quick draining/drying. In order to do that, the cushions had to be made from stuff that didn't absorb water, but let it pass through.
Unfortunately when one sits on them for hours, knitting and watching Netflix, as we do, the life of the cushion drains out as well. They became increasingly uncomfy.
Not to mention stained from two dawgs and other messy eaters.
I wanted to be able to remove the covers and wash them, but the covers had no zippers, so I would have to unsew and resew them, and that would only solve one of the problems I had with these chairs.
Finally I made the decision to go for new cushions entirely, comfy springy foam, with new covers too. I saw that my fave polka dot in turquoise and white was still available from Fabric.com, and I called Joann's Fabrics to make sure they had the right kind of foam, so I was off to the races.
Having done this before, I used my electric carving knife to cut the foam to size, 22x24x4" and then wrapped it in highloft poly batting. This hides any chips I may have cut in the foam.
Then I wrapped the cushion again in muslin and sewed it closed. Now I have an easy cushion to cover and uncover for washing.
I made sure that all four cushions would be easy on and off by sewing in a zipper. I do expect to be washing these frequently. Dawgs.
Now I just have the footrest parts to cover today, or maybe tomorrow. I think I may just enjoy the chairs and catch up on my movie watching and knitting.