Monday, February 20, 2012

Starting in the Middle

As simple as this beginning is, you would not believe the indecisions that brought me to this result.
I began with a few charm packs, all five inch prints, and then I cut long strips of 5" wide solids.
My first idea was to do a traditional star block of half square triangles, but I didn't want a square as my start, so I then decided to do pinwheels in a rectangle, but it was too unfocused because I couldn't decide if the flags should be the prints or the solids. Arrgh.  I was definitely overthinking it. Simplify, simplify.
Then as I assembled these simple prints on point in a solid square, I felt there were too many pastels and not enough brights, so again, I started cutting and sewing brighter colors together.
Now I have a mix, and while it isn't all that innovative, it has what I needed and it is in a rectanglar layout. From here I will add wide strips of prints alternating with narrower strips of solids, with inserts of pinwheels, flying geese, and more squares in squares. So far it is 16x19". The top center will be quilted and then I will add wide borders and more to get the size I am aiming at, 65x90ish.



Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:39 PM

    hmmm... the dotted ones really look off to my eyes on the monitor anyway. Maybe they look different in person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy does that sound like my typical day. I'm a true Libra I think. I can't ever decide on anything.
    It's pretty anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:22 AM

    What you need to remember SuSaw is that this is Melody, and it isn't over until the fat lady sings. The design will be fantastic when finished, as usual. Oh Melody, please don't take that the wrong way, i could have put that a lot better. It's just that your ideas materialise in ways we 'students' could never have imagined!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4:27 PM

    hmm...why did you do half squares when the fabric is the same in each square? Wouldn't it have been easier to just start with a square and add the corners?

    ReplyDelete

Hello,
So nice of you to drop by. I love your comments, and if you would really like a reply, please email me at fibermania at g mail dot com