Saturday, February 25, 2012

The Idea Surfaces!

I jumped into this with a very sketchy plan, and finally the IDEA has come to the surface. My brain is like that fortune telling 8 ball game, with  words or phrases floating in liquid and a tiny window where they rise to the surface.
Duh.
Now I know that I am going to make twelve blocks, 3 rows by 4, and then add connecting strips and borders.

In order to make this work, I will have to make more half square triangles sets. But this time I will make them into pinwheels and then alternate them with the diamond blocks (aka square in a square).
That ought to busy it up even more. I think that is what I am loving about this piece. So much going on and nothing is really a focal point. So different for me, and ultra scrappy. FYI, these blocks are not sewn together yet, and it's a good thing, since they will be rearranged when the newer blocks get sewn.








































Is it right to have one block that is the favorite? I think this one may be it, and the vibrant orange strip is what took it over the edge. Ay ayaaaay!

Note to self: must make more shortie strip sets.


I made 15 sets of pinwheel blocks or 30 finished blocks, which will then be configured into the new big blocks.




5 comments:

  1. How can you go wrong with all that gorgeous Kaffe fabric? Everything looks good with it and this is turning out to be another one of your amazing creations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love all those colors and the hits of bright spots, and i do like that there is no real focal point, although I wouldn't really have noticed without you saying so.
    It is a very happy quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Is it right to have one block that is the favorite?" Yep! It's not like children; there will be no hurt feelings or sulking. The favorite can be the fount from which all others flow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melody, I have now read all of your past entries, it kept me busy for a while! You are an inspiration and you give me lots of ideas! (I was the one who was having problems w/the Older/Newer buttons, and then suddenly they started working!)

    Anyway, speaking of inspiration, your gardening/flowers also inspire me, and I know once (probably before the TN move) you posted another blogger that had gardening ideas. Any idea who that was? Maybe you still read her site.I have been doing searches on "garden" and "inspiration" on your site but haven't found it. If you know off the top of your head, please let me know - don't spend any time digging around for it.

    Have greatly enjoyed the story of your last several years as a quilt artist and a canvas artist, the move, the new home and getting it personalized, and the FISH and the PUGS! We haven't had a pug picture lately, hint hint. I have cats but I enjoy pugs.

    Anyway, thank you again for such a great, inspiring blog. You make me think I better go get quilting!

    ReplyDelete

Hello,
So nice of you to drop by. I love your comments, and if you would really like a reply, please email me at fibermania at g mail dot com