Friday, July 22, 2011

Photographing Large Work

I am lucky to have this studio but the high ceilings make getting the right lighting for photography challenging.
The track lights don't really do the job, and the bank of flourescent lights down the center of the room are just not bright enough  so I had to install a second fluorescent fixture with color corrected bulbs.
Most of the work I do isn't this large, so I am usually satisfied with the color and clarity in the pictures. But now that I have made this BIG quilt, 61x91", I am having bright spots on the top and then shady areas down near the bottom. NOT the professional photography I would like to be doing.
Not to mention the skimpy design wall I have, which I once INSISTED was all I needed.
Hmmm.
I seem to be taking back so many declarations lately.

But then, I am probably not going to enter any quilt shows with quilts this large any time soon, (she says) but that is also something I have declared often in the past, so who knows?


I have added about 8 inches to the quilt and now I am left with just the binding to do, which I am saving for my new sewing table. In the meantime I am considering what design to do with the stripes mentioned previously.






Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:48 AM

    Seriously impressed with the quilt - I love it ! Then I got to the last pic - ---giggles ----- more giggles - dogs trump magnificently in my experience !!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I finally broke down and bought professional equipment. Box ix still unopened (IT'S HOT HERE). It included silver umbrellas, stands and daylight bulbs. This is what they are called:
    Cowboystudio 1200 Watt Photography Video Photo Portrait Studio Umbrella Continuous Lighting Kit WITH Four 85 Watt day light CFL bulb 5500K & UMBRELLAS Cowboystudio 1200 Watt Photography Video Photo Portrait Studio Umbrella Continuous Lighting Kit WITH Four 85 Watt day light CFL bulb 5500K & UMBRELLAS
    I'd copy and paste that into amazon. I paid $112.49.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you don't want to invest in the umbrellas and special flashes, I would recommend what I do. I have a friend with a wonderful studio with bright florescent lights like you have. When taking pictures, I have her turn off those lights as I don't like the bright spots. I get about 8-10 feet away, use my zoom and use my flash (using a Canon SLR).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am going to give the no lights on idea a try before I take down that quilt from my wall. I'll let you know how it looks.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had my handi-husband make these light stands http://www.hollyknott.com/stq/lighting.htm . What I like the best about them is that the clamp light can be moved up and down the wooden post. You could easily add light down low on your quilts to mix in with your permanant fixtures.

    They cost < $20 total. I know this may not help you today but it's a thought for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's nice to see the quilt form a distance. you get a better idea of size and overall pattern.
    The picture is too cute! How funny.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous2:49 PM

    Then again you need to ask yourself whether it is really important to get a perfect shot of a quilt intended for the dogs!
    Another thought is, you ARE retired! You did declare this on your move so maybe you will need to re-evaluate your motives and look into reorganizing yourself and your work and STOP beating around the bush and heeing and hawing and get back to doing some professional work, earning a salary and paying taxes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bed quilt? Hmmmm? Looks like a prize winner to me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay... define "retired"! Don't know about you, but I'm busy doing other things since I "retired"... which is better than sitting around doing nuthin'! I'm betting you come up with quick, easy, frugal solutions to whatever problem rears it's ugly head... and I love the changes to your studio layout! Phooey with feng shui! I'm all about what works for me, and I think you are too!

    ReplyDelete

Hello,
So nice of you to drop by. I love your comments, and if you would really like a reply, please email me at fibermania at g mail dot com