Monday, February 07, 2011

Pug Shopping

No we did not get another pug, but it was a close call.
We have been thinking that Chumley is lonesome and needs a buddy, and Dave is so good at finding pugs on Ebay classifieds, or Craig's List, so on Sunday we took a drive for a look-see.

The house was very dark and kinda seedy, which gave me a warning as we entered. Lots of barking and a strange woman with a cigarette and curlers in her hair answered the door. (Is this a movie scene or what?) She encouraged us to bring in Chumley to see how he would respond to the puppies.
Showing us an 8 week old and a six week old, Chum was very interested. The little 8 wk.old turned around and Chum backed up barking. Could this work? 
  I got out my camera and with the flash I noticed more about this little guy. See his eyes? One was stuck looking outward while the other one moved as we moved him. Not good. She had reduced the price on him and that was a red flag. It was all kinda sad and creepy. The 6 week old was really not weaned yet, and we couldn't tell much about him at this early stage so we said we'd come back...which we won't.

They were cute, but we both knew it wasn't right. And Chumley was not impressed. He is not so bored as he makes out. And he has his food all to himself, which he likes very much, thank you.
Chumley is in Dave's arms, and looks smaller than he really is. He now weighs 25 pounds which is too much. Hurry Spring so he can run some of his weight off.




++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++








Back at the brandy-new-clean studio, I am ready to get back to my Spidey today. It is going to be bedsized, although only twin sized. I found that Joann's sells a cotton/poly batt (80/20) that is 72x90". I like this size as it is bigger than 60x80 and smaller than full size, 84x96. And now with my new bigger table I can actually consider basting it myself, like the old days.
Here's something going on behind the scenes. Last year I 'discovered' the Modern Quilt Guild and saw that lots of groups were forming all over the country. Nothing close enough to me to actually join, so I didn't. But then recently I took another look and saw that one had formed (and disbanded) in Chattanooga. I immediately wanted to know more. I tried to contact the moderator of the site and saw that it had moved and was no longer online. Grrr. But I also saw a name I recognized as a blog commentor, Mary,  and I emailed her. She has been trying to get more info and we have emailed back and forth and decided to try and get this thing going again. Mary asked the Sew Be It store in GA if we could meet there and of course the answer is YES. No dates yet, but I am hoping it can be on a Wednesday afternoon, not at night, when I am already in town for my knitting group.
So I am excited as can be. If you are a local lurker and want to be a part of this too, please come out of the shadows and let me know. Email Me.
Mary and I are thinking about what this group could be, and are open to ideas. OOOoooh! I hope this happens!



Posted by Picasa

19 comments:

  1. Scary and sad. I thought maybe Coco needed someone to play with so went to the Humane Society about 16 years ago and found Jane. Coco was always the alpha cat. We lost Coco a few months ago and Jane is a different kitty. She talks constantly, isn't watchful to see if Coco is around and just seems soooo happy. I think she thinks she won the lottery!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were wise to leave without buying a pup. Most people would not be so strong. This woman sounds one step up from a puppy mill. Two litters-one 6 weeks old and one 8 weeks??? If you really want a pup, seek out the local kennel club and see if one of thier members breeds Pugs. You might also search out for a local Pug club. Pugs are very popular now and that always creates a group of people looking to make a quick buck without much long term concern for the dogs' well being. Lois

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you did the right thing, choosing a dog is just like crossing an intersection,
    "when in doubt, don't"

    ReplyDelete
  4. How about looking at a local pug rescue group? You might not find a puppy but you may find a pug you like there. Stay away from puppy mills and pet stores (same thing)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have to be strong when choosing a puppy, always go with your gut instinct and if something doesn't feel right, it probably isn't. Sounds like a puppy farm! Hope you find a friend for Chumley soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A bit of insight. My family have always been dog people. No cats allowed. Dogs really don't care all that much about the company of another dog, as they want to be with YOU, their human. About ten years ago we adopted a cat and I realized quickly that cats are just the opposite. So now, I, not really even a cat person have three. Hmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous10:12 AM

    Oh, I have to disagree with the poster who said dogs don't care about the company of other dog. Our first dog was alone until someone suggested he needed a frient because we both worked. The dogs became such close friends, they were always pined when one had to go the the vet and even looked out the front window waiting for his buddy. They were always togeter and looked out for each other. I've seen this in many dog families too. Isn't that why dogs run in packs, for the companionship and their preservation.
    Cam

    ReplyDelete
  8. Smart move about the dog. Cats can make good companions for dogs too. My daughters cat doesn't like (that's an understatement)other cats but she loves the dog. I guess she figures he is not competition for her just another admirer.
    I always learn something from your posts. I never thought about seeing if other local people were interested in starting a Modern Quilt group. I looked and didn't see any close enough and just forgot about it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Agreed, you did the right thing to listen to your little voice and walk away. We got our lab pup from a wonderful breeder, but checked out others beforehand - and saw a pretty bad one. So glad we visited before purchasing. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. YOu were right to be leary of this place. Sounds like backyard breeders or worse. These pups usually mean poor health and temperament.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Melody,

    Glad the pug story had a happy ending for you.. you are right in that it did not feel right at all.

    I would like to comment on the Chattanooga MQG, in that I am the local creator of the Chattanooga MQG and welcome you to join the list on Facebook. All MQG's were hosted on Ning at one point until Ning went to only a pay-for option as opposed to a free service and during that time they captured the locked out any communication from the list. As the former host of the group they/ning sends me an email saying that people are trying to get a hold of the group and if I would only pay the monthly fee for the gorup then I could have those communications. ( so very wrong on their part)

    Until this point there have only been 6 members none of whom could be induced into much online planning or chatting. I have high hopes that witha spark from you and Mary things will get moving! Hope to speak to you soon.


    Maddie
    maddie6@bellsouth.net

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good idea to find a chum for Chum..but very wise to wait for the right one! It would be great fun to join your group...but I live in the UK!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree not to take a puppy from there, but I think you should turn them into someone! Those poor dogs need to be saved from that woman. We had gotten our dog from the pound. She had been the sweetest thing. We all miss her terribly now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Try www.petfinder.com if you have not already.

    ReplyDelete
  15. check out the Chug (Pug/Chihuahua Mix) who likes to wear knitted sweaters in winter and who needs a loving home.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jackson

    Pug Mix: An adoptable dog in Kingston, TN

    http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/16224615

    ReplyDelete
  17. They also have some cute small dogs there of other breeds.

    Anyway have fun looking...
    Petfinders is a great resource.

    ReplyDelete
  18. They also have some cute small dogs there of other breeds.

    Anyway have fun looking...
    Petfinders is a great resource.

    ReplyDelete

  19. Are you looking for best water damage restoration services in New York, then water damage services is the best and reliable choice in the USA.

    ReplyDelete

Hello,
So nice of you to drop by. I love your comments, and if you would really like a reply, please email me at fibermania at g mail dot com