Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Poncho Progress

 I could not stop knitting, and kept at it until all the new tv shows were over. When one is knitting with Noro Kureyon, the colors keep changing and it is so amazing to see what is inside a skein. The first two diamonds and adjacent triangles are all from the same skein.  The two skeins here have some of the same colors as the first skein, but also changes into aqua and blue. Lots of black is mixed in too. I am trying to keep this poncho wearable by a person NOT in a circus, so no neon pink or dayglo orange in this one.
  The length before blocking is 36" and since the eventual wearer is 5'10", it is not too long, and will be longer after blocking, as well we know.
For the initial diamond, I cast on 71 stitches and the adjacent triangles are 36 stitches, if you are thinking of knitting along, and I used a size 10 needle. The width of the diamond is 13" from side to side and will no doubt grow to 15-16" after blocking. The shoulder triangles may actually roll over the shoulder (to the front) and be joined to the front top diamond, with a space left open for the neck opening. We'll see, since I am designing on the spot. The back is almost finished and then the front will be started at the bottom diamond, with colors related but of course unknown at this point. That's the intrigue that is so appealing.
I am deeply madly in love with Noro Kuryeon and Silk Garden, both of which will be used in this piece. 

Tonight is my first knitting class in which I am the teacher. I am all excited to be trying out this new challenge. The project is the Baby Surprise Jacket, which is also a fun and easy knit, so this should be a breeze...as long as my students know how to knit. You never know.

7 comments:

  1. The colors are beautiful... can't wait to see your finished product. Someday I will try and knit again...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The colors in the first triangle remind me of my first experience of changing of colors in the Smokey Mountains. We were driving from Highlands, NC to Asheville and it was breathtaking in every direction.

    I am in awe of the speed that you knit things up. I love to knit there is something about the repetitiveness that is so calming. It doesn't matter how much I knit I just don't seem to be able to increase my speed. Not great with the typing speed. Wonder if it is a mind hand coordination problem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:16 PM

    Hi, I am from Romania Europe ,and I visit your blog almost every day.Yur quilts are wonderful, the colours are so bright.I am mad about knitting too.I have lerned a lot of things from your blog,about dyeing fabrisc,and modular knitting.Best whishes,DANA

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am just amazed that you can figure this out. I can follow patterns but cannot actually figure them out myself unless it was very simple. It's just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Melody,
    I do hope the knitting class went well - I'll bet it will - you're a great teacher and that'll not change using another medium.

    My question - how are the cats doing? You haven't mentioned old Popeye for a while, and you said you had an outside cat who'd taken up residence .. how are they getting along?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Melody,
    I do hope the knitting class went well - I'll bet it will - you're a great teacher and that'll not change using another medium.

    My question - how are the cats doing? You haven't mentioned old Popeye for a while, and you said you had an outside cat who'd taken up residence .. how are they getting along?

    ReplyDelete

Hello,
So nice of you to drop by. I love your comments, and if you would really like a reply, please email me at fibermania at g mail dot com