Friday, September 10, 2010

Jelly Rings

I have seen this idea several times on Ravelry and since I have collected lots of small leftover balls of yarn, I was ready for the challenge. Making the first one is simple. Adding a second one to the first is the trick. After a few tries, I figured out how to arrange the needles and more importantly the yarn, so that nothing got stuck or twisted.








Here's another shot to show scale. I think this is just the start, as it is merely necklace length and could become a real 'toss over the shoulder' length with twice as many rings. To make your own, use sock yarn and size three double pointed needles. Heavier yarn and larger needles would be a good way to try this out and then return to finer needles and yarn for the real thing. Cast-on 30 sts and join, being careful not to twist. Knit 9 rounds and bind off. The stockinette stitch will automatically roll to the inside. Isn't that fun?

18 comments:

  1. those ae cool I can see those as a baby chewing toy. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, the intrigue! Your illustrations are so clear and the colors so luscious. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Truly amazing. What a wonderful idea for all those leftovers. You pictures are stunning, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this!!! Must start to collect yarn. Maria Denmark

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow ....... I've never seen those before ...... they're gorgeous! Sadly I've never been able to get to grips with knitting on more than two needles!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melody,
    Such a fun project! Thank you for sharing this with us and the tutorial as well. I am going to dig out my DPN's. Note to Mermaid's Purse, you only knit with 2 needles at a time, just forget that extra one is there, until you come around to it. Then just keep knitting.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cute -- I like the two circular needle method to make tube things in knitting! Gorgeous rainbow colors!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your necklace/scarf... colors are marvelous! You could make the drop out of fuzzy yarn. Thanks for the look/see. Terri

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Melody,
    what a great idea! I am visiting your blog already for a while. I am always impressed who "brave" you use colours. But this time, I am speachless. Wonderfull! I saved this idea for my winterprojects to make a scarf may be. Thank you very much for sharing.
    Warm greatings from Germany
    Doris

    ReplyDelete
  10. Did you ever try to knit or crochet
    with wire?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Interesting and colorful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ah Melody,
    You are a continual source of inspiration. Your amazing body of work just continues to thrill me. Thank you so much for all the time and work you put into sharing your work. You rock girl.

    ReplyDelete
  13. From someone who can barely cast on...this is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  14. hmmm maybe continue the chain and you could use it for garland on a Christmas tree or the mantle in blue and white for the winter wonderland look :)
    hmmm endless possibilities here! going to have to try this
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  15. beautiful colors!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. using your pattern I was able to make a bracelet that was "5 gold rings" for a "12 days of Christmas" challenge
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  17. Quelle bonne idée !!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for this great idea, Last Weekend I made
    a necklace for me.
    Greetings from Germany
    Ucki

    ReplyDelete

Hello,
So nice of you to drop by. I love your comments, and if you would really like a reply, please email me at fibermania at g mail dot com