Monday, April 05, 2010

Is this weather a trick?
The bleeding hearts are lush already, and blooms are opening. Today it will easily get into the 80's and I was gonna be so smart and wait until the end of April to plant annuals, seeing as how last year we had snow April 27th. It's so hard to be patient.


I transplanted the iris (which it is safe to do) from the darker spot beyond the pond to the sunnier box. I was impressed with how many new plants had developed since they were originally planted. The didn't bloom well in their former home, as it got too shady and they got too leggy.  I also took out the phlox from the front of the house and settled them into this much sunnier spot. Along with them I planted poppies. Two reds and a peachy colored one. A few daylilies were added to the box adjacent to the iris. All the boxes will have perennials and the flower pots will be for annuals.
In the front garden I added the pansies to the new addition to the bed. Behind those the hosta art going nuts, coming up as I watch.

The green behind them are pink and white echinacea and rudbeckia returning veterans. The calendula look like they might do better this year.
Five peonies are enthusiastic and then I have the missing phlox holes and at this point I am trying to decide what to put in their place.

 Pondside, we are having a mad spawning season. The goldies and pondies are all bumping up against each other at the waters edge. The males knock their noses into the females to make them drop their eggs. They practically push them out of the water. Lots of action these past few days.

7 comments:

  1. So much going on in your garden. It's going to be beautiful in a few weeks - already looking really good.

    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  2. So far, the weather forecast through the middle of April would make it safe to plant. My Southern gardener friend tells me April 20 is the "safe after" date. At least the ground will be somewhat warmed during the next two weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Daffodils...sigh. Makes me miss living in Boston. In Texas, pretties like irises never make it and I miss the color like crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I love love love bleeding hearts! You are lucky to have them in your garden! Happy spring!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your close-up flower shots are great!

    Kristin F. in SC

    ReplyDelete
  6. It climbed up to 89 here in Richmond. The bleeding heart I planted next to my parents' pond is going crazy. If I'd had my camera yesterday I would have taken a pic. Now it'll have to wait until Thursday. Hopefully it won't all fry in the next two days when the temps climb into the 90's. Ouch, ouch, ouch! Your pond is looking very inviting at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so very much for sharing your garden and your springtime. I am Soooo envious! living on the edge of a desert in Western Australia, with alkaine red dust and rocks our gardens are so very different. Alot of what you have comming through reminds me of previous gardens I've had. keep up the good work! and keep the photos comming. Georgina.

    ReplyDelete

Hello,
So nice of you to drop by. I love your comments, and if you would really like a reply, please email me at fibermania at g mail dot com