Friday, February 12, 2010

Sunnyside of the Street
'

Sunnyside of the Street, unquilted cottons, machine pieced 36x21"
I was putting away the leftovers from the previous day and found some patchwork that I had made last winter. I deconstructed it and inserted roof shapes just to see what I could make from the parts. It was fun and faster than starting from scratch, which I'll do tomorrow.
The good thing is that I used up scraps and leftover parts, not letting it get too serious.
+++++
While cleaning out another storage box, I found this old piece, fused, painted and hand dyed. Fused already to batting and just awaiting quilting. The painted fabrics are painted with diluted acrylics and have a matte finish, and are a bit more 'sturdy' feeling than plain fabrics. I remember the name was 15 Crosses.
I was going through a phase of wanting to work in a series and this was one of about six pieces that I made during that time. I used different from my usual cheerful colorways and this one was about the cheeriest of the bunch, but still kind of dark and murky in the contrasting dark bits.

I think I got the idea of series work after doing this and it was semi-a good experience, altho not one single piece in the series got my "I love it" vote.

10 comments:

  1. Just love it - reminds me of living at home by the sea and the rows of beach huts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:29 PM

    Fun! And almost instant gratification! WooHoo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a circus to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very fun and happy - just like you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5:53 AM

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like it - it makes me think but it also adds confusion. I would like to have seen the whole series though so it would fit in a frame of reference.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sunnyside of the street is great! It has a beach-y feel to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. love what you did with the acrylics and then the contrast. Big "Wow!" from me!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous12:08 AM

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous3:23 AM

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Hello,
So nice of you to drop by. I love your comments, and if you would really like a reply, please email me at fibermania at g mail dot com