Sunday, January 31, 2010

The Use-It-All-Up Quilt Project


I have assembled all my printed quilting fabrics. I am ignoring your laughter at this paltry amount. It seems like a lot to me, and they keep bugging me to use them. There are many dark and twisty reasons that have prevented me from doing so, but finally I have found a personally good reason to get off my butt and start a major all of February Quilt Project. And I am inviting you to Quilt Along with Melody...or QAWM*


Starting with the greens, cause I am in a green mood, I found a nice hand dyed purple to make strip #1. The prints will be the center square of my block.

Here's the concept: I am going to make a very simple quilt block that has lots of possibilities and I am not going to use any other fabric except what I have in my house at this minute, which includes loads of hand dyed fabrics too. (Yesterday I spent two hours online fabric shopping and stopped myself just at the point of making the purchase.) I am certain that I have enough here for several quilts.

My plan is to make blocks, many many blocks and then decide later how to use them. I am going to start with one colorway and add coordinating colors to make each block harmonious, whatever that means. Since I don't know how many blocks I will get from the stack of fabrics I don't yet know what size the quilt/quilts will become. I don't care at this point. I am just going to use up all these prints if I can.

1. Here is the block. The center square is cut 4.5", the surrounding strip is cut at 1.5" and the last strip is cut at 2.5". With a 1/4" inch seam allowance the resulting block is 10.25" or a finished 9.75 inch block. There is very little waste from cutting one strip of fabric from selvedge to selvedge for this last strip.
2. The possibilities for this simple block increase if later it is divided into four smaller blocks and reassembled as in figures 3. 4. 6. and 7. The smaller block can be enlarged by adding sashing, as in figure 5, and of course setting it on point is also an option.

*If you are interested in accompanying me on this quilt-along, QWAM email me at fibermania at gmail dot com and I will post your name and share your progress here. If you have a blog, a link will be included. I am going to try and keep this up for the whole stinkin' month of February. (I never make committments like this, so you know I must be serious).

10 comments:

  1. Teresa9:17 AM

    Check out Nancy Crow's book (the big one) page 177. This is another option for using the block. I love the possiblities this block has!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could do this along with you, just had carpal tunnel surgery but will keep your instructions and follow along and hope to do this in the future sounds like a great project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alright, Melody, I thought this over during my morning shower and I AM IN ! ! !
    I want to take you up on your offer to QAWM ! ! !
    Actually I am ready for this.
    I'm tossing most of the scraps that have been lurking in my sewing room.
    Decided yesterday to use my TB 'stash' [yes, I know 'X' to TB]rather than 'working' with someone else's preference.

    We're just finishing moving computer areas from downstairs to upstairs. Only a couple of more end tables to move and I'm right on QAWM !
    Thanks for presenting me the stimulius.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I visited Marlene's blog and saw her post about QAWM and followed her lead and have posted about your idea!
    Now, down to work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:16 PM

    OH! I'd love to do this...but I've got a lot on my plate right now.... :-(

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like alot of fun! I'm going to follow along.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous3:27 AM

    I'd love to join in. Sounds great!
    Will have to work around a mountain of work, but will try to get as many done as possible. I have a stack of Fat Quarters I would love to eliminate! plus lots of others.
    Elizabeth in Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can hardly wait to try this! I teach quilting at an adult school and this is right up their alley.

    ReplyDelete
  9. go go go.... its a great idea and I will be watching from here... funny to see you have some of the same fabrics I have...thanks for posting your process(es) so many peeps get hung up on perfect the first time! ( as if!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is another option for using the block. I love the possiblities this block has!

    Work from home India

    ReplyDelete

Hello,
So nice of you to drop by. I love your comments, and if you would really like a reply, please email me at fibermania at g mail dot com