Friday, October 30, 2009

A Big Sigh of Satisfaction

I am done being frustrated and have finally conquered the "easy toe and heel for a toe-up sock".
Ha!
Both toe and heel are accomplished exactly the same way, without wrapping stitches or yarn overs. Don't ask me how, as I would not be able to explain the process in 10,000 words or less. Let me just say that there are several ways to make a sock heel and/or a sock toe and this one turns out to be pretty good for both, now that I have CONQUERED the stupid technique.
There are several online videos which are more confusing than helpful, with fuzzy camera work, or annoying jiggling. Nevertheless I watched them repeatedly until something in my subconscious finally clicked. Then I knit and frogged several attempts and it sunk in. I do believe I could make a sock this way now...Although the proof is in the pudding.
Here's the neat thing. With this toe construction, one uses a crochet provisional cast on and then when the toe is complete the cast on stitches can become live by unraveling the crochet stitches and knitting in the round can begin. One can try on the half made sock as one knits, making sure it fits just right and then the (stinkin') heel can be formed from half the stitches and no gusset or turning is necessary.
One could even make both toes and heels separately and graft them onto an open knitted tube...if one was a show-off.
Now that I have conquered this feat I am having a stiff drink. It's cocktail time after all.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:31 PM

    Phew! You've obviously been doing some serious fiddling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:14 PM

    Okay, can you point me to the videos? I have been trying to figure this out for ages. I want to do toe-up socks but the wrapped stitches cause me great consternation. I can handle top down socks but I never make them the right size and end up giving them away. I want my own socks! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Hello,
So nice of you to drop by. I love your comments, and if you would really like a reply, please email me at fibermania at g mail dot com