Monday, July 06, 2009

Buttermilk Sky

Buttermilk Sky

Acrylic on gallery wrapped canvas, 16x20x1" $150 Sold



It was during our bike ride last Friday that it dawned on me what I needed to do to make this landscape idea work. It had something to do with reducing reality to its simpler shapes, and forgetting local color in favor of imaginary colors. If I were doing this as a quilt I would divide my composition into segments, and fill those with flat color and details that would aid the design.

A few linear details would define the trees and houses and then I should stop before I overdid it. The fact that this is paint and not fabric makes it difficult to hold back, since even the tiniest lines and dots can be included ad infinitum. I like that part, since all the tough decisions have already been made, but those main areas should be allowed to stand alone. I'll keep at this for a while until I feel I have it figured out satisfactorily

This format is larger than I have worked in a while, and is a rescued canvas, or a failed painting from several years ago. I gessoed over the old piece, brought it back to white, and started anew.
Somehow that made it easier to begin.

7 comments:

  1. I've been gone from blog world for a while and imagine my utter thrilled-ness to come back to THIS! Oh. Yum! Completely and totally YUM! And furthermore - WOW and YUM! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Parts of this picture remind me of the abstract art you did years ago. Like for example: If you separate the last picture into 6 parts and look at the lower right square: Isn't that an overwhelming composition?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This new approach LOOKS more like your work. Everything you do is good Mel, but this is unique and "arty!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the color, but my favorite part is where you have added the detail and shadow. I love the stand of trees. What would happen if you just put a little more detail in one of the fields... just thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE this piece.beautiful colors
    xoxo
    ((((hugs))))
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I keep coming back to this one. I'm pretty sure you made it just for me! LOL! =)

    ReplyDelete

Hello,
So nice of you to drop by. I love your comments, and if you would really like a reply, please email me at fibermania at g mail dot com