Saturday, April 04, 2009

The Dye Lecture

I used to be very shy. When I got up in front of a crowd I would shake.

Not. Any. More. I love to have an audience, especially one where I can talk about stuff like dyeing and about my quilts, which I did last night. And for the first time in years, and I do mean years, I brought along lots of my large quilts, unearthed from the archives in the garage.

We had a full house, which is to say about 20 people crammed into one room, which for this neck of the woods is pretty darn good.

 

I showed lots of fabrics dyed in different techniques, and explained, sort of, how they were dyed. One lovely gal asked all the right questions, almost like a plant in the audience, and that kept the theme of Lazy Dyer-ness right on track.

And then I brought out all the oldies but goodies and explained the process, in 25 words or less. So we covered fusing, dyeing, quilting, thread, fabric, and design in an hour. And I got to dress up!

Afterwards there were deeee-licious goodies to eat and I got to meet several gals, some of which know the same people that I know, making this a very small world. And more importantly than that I met a gal who described her knee problems which matched my knee problems EXACTLY. (which is what us old babes talk about these days, I guess) Anyway…she had hers fixed and told me what doctor to call and I am on my way to ending this knee pain. Woowoo!

I got home so fast, and have no recollection of how. I was going over every word I said, and hoped it made sense. I get so giddy when I have an audience.

17 comments:

  1. These are so gorgeous! I bet you inspired everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful color as usual! The cat mosaic reminds me of Gaudi's Park Guell in Barcelona. It would fit right in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome work! Your audience must have been blown away!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad everything went so well. More importantly I am happy to hear you have some possibilities to ending the knee pain.

    By the sil Chris saw her favorite hot flash quilt on a PBS special up in Chicago. She said they didn't show the whole thing... x-rated and all that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the work. I'm sure your audience was in AWE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How great to see these quilts again on your blog! I particularly love the wild nine patch design and the cat quilt I snipped from a magazine and still take it out to admire it! Now I can pop back to your blog for a fix instead...

    I had a partial knee replacement a couple of years ago.. what a relief that was. They found only half of my painful knee was afflicted so didn't have to have the whole deal. Walking and standing without pain is miraculous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Melody,
    Your work is so gorgeous it just takes my breath away. Thank you so much for taking the time to share with all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful Quilts. After having a knee repaired, you'll just say "Why couldn't I have done this sooner!"

    ReplyDelete
  9. WooHoo! I'm sure your audience had just as good a time as you did! Fingers crossed the new doc can fix you right up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations to your lecture. It must be great to share knowledge with such an avid audience. The third quilt of these is great! It reminds me of the work of the Japanese screen print artist Michio Takehara who in his early years used Japanes calligraphic signs in this psychedelic way in 1972/73; we studied arts together.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful quilts! You audience had a real treat. I'm glad I found your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Melody and friends, I was part of the audience last night and enjoyed it so very much! The quilts and fabrics were only surpassed by the enthusiam and joy of the speaker! Thank you so much for a wonderfully entertaining evening. Hope to get myself into fabric dying very soon. And thanks also to your hosts at Stone Light Studio.
    Gayle

    ReplyDelete
  13. My Dharma order should get here any day and I can hardly wait to explore your world of colors! Your work is SUCH good inspiration!!! And YOU, well... you ROCK! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I too enjoy your quilts. The colors and designs are fabulous. --Julia

    ReplyDelete
  15. janice in detroit7:25 AM

    I have been reading your blog for quite some time and have always enjoyed the exuberant colors. The cat just blew me away.

    ReplyDelete

Hello,
So nice of you to drop by. I love your comments, and if you would really like a reply, please email me at fibermania at g mail dot com