Saturday, January 17, 2009

My Breadmaking Pot



Actually I have two of these, and they don't look nearly as nice and new as this picture from the Circulon website. Mine have teflon inside, which does or doesn't matter when baking bread.




They are kinda heavy but not as heavy as a cast iron pot, which I DID buy for bread baking and didn't like after we used it for popcorn alot. It makes excellent popcorn, but the fact that you don't wash cast iron made the whole thing just a glob of burnt on stickiness.

I also have two of these, in the 8 cup size. I mix the dough in this and let it rise to the top. Then it gets poured (very wet dough) out onto my worksurface and a bit more flour is added to make it into a loaf and then it is set back into a pot or bowl to rise a second time.



The bread recipe-s, which was requested in a comment, is in the sidebar...

4 comments:

  1. We "wash" our cast iron, usually by scraping out the bits and running it under water, no soap. That's about it. I'm hungry when I'm reading your blog this morning, might have to try that bread!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:26 PM

    Who says you shouldn't wash cast iron? That's a rumour. I wash mine with soap even or scour it out as necessary, BUT I dry it on a low flame and oil it after by wiping the inside with just a bit of oil thoroughly.
    I've never had a problem with it.
    Of course in the beginning, when it's new you need to 'season' it before using AND you could always 'season' it in between during the years. I love my pure UN-enameled cast irons.
    Of course, this might be too much work for some people and I am not being snarky or anything. My sister for instance, was already overwhelmed with the info of how to care for her cast irons skillets when I explained it. I am sure they are still unused in her house. I'll check when I visit this year....LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wash my cast iron every time I use it and my granny did before I inherited it. I hand wash it, scour as necessary, and air dry. Never been a problem... I do wipe it with oil once in a while, and re-season it every few years... After 75+ years of service all the cast irons in this house are going strong! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey :)
    I admit to being a lurker for a long time now, since I love your quilts and knits and I'm fascinated by how you're changing as an artist.

    But I just wanted to pop in and say that you might want to go back to using the cast iron pot, or get a cheap ceramic-coated iron one (I think Target has one for $20?), because Teflon starts getting unstable at 500 F and emits a gas that can give you flu-like symptoms.

    Gah, I sound just like the fear-mongers who leave random blog comments, but really I'm not trying to do so. We do the no-knead bread all the time and love it, using a ceramic-coated cast iron pot (because I HATE seasoning case iron). Even DuPont recommends against using it at temperatures over 450 F:
    http://www.teflon.com/Teflon/teflonissafe/cookware_safety.html

    I adore my usual nonstick pans and they'll have to pry my nonstick skillet from my cold dead hands, but I use them at much lower temps.

    ReplyDelete

Hello,
So nice of you to drop by. I love your comments, and if you would really like a reply, please email me at fibermania at g mail dot com