Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Waterfront Property

Waterfront Property

Hand dyed cottons and silk charmeuse, silk shantung and commercial cottons.
Fused. Hand and machine quilted. 16x21"

To get myself going on this new piece I had to begin by finding a color scheme. I chose Yellow and its neighbors. I am very open minded as to what yellow is as you can see by the blue in this background piece. Still I tried to stick to the analogous colors to maintain the sunny mood.

The sky is all silk shantung, shiny and a tiny bit slubby.

I found most of the good stuff in my scrap box which gave me a jump start on the piecing. That included this tiny houselike bit. I think of it as a hanging bird feeder.

Waterfront Property refers to our little joke that because there is a pond here that we indeed live at the water's edge.

11 comments:

  1. Stunning colors-love your little fishy. The sky is so beautiful and the slubby texture adds to the puffy cloud look. Very cool Dahling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:00 AM

    I love this piece. I'm happy you're quilting again. You're inspiring me to try art quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:24 AM

    Ooh! I LOVE the little yellow stripes with the green dots on the hand stitching at the bottom! Candy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:27 AM

    Love your new piece. I have been reading your blogs ever since you visited the ACQ guild meeting in Denver (what, over two years ago?. You recently stated that your heart was in painting and you would not be quilting anymore. What changed your mind?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mel,

    I love your new piece too! I especially like the fish, and the way you did the borders. What a bright, cheery piece!

    Kristin in SC

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Anon,
    Yes my heart was in painting, and it still is, but it is a big heart and has room for quilting too. Recently my sister and I visited Hancocks of Paducah and I purchased some dots and stripes (like you could be in Hancocks and not buy something?)so I had to make use of them...and voila, here I am back in Quiltland.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous6:50 PM

    Love the new piece! My first thought when I saw it was of your pond and your waterfront home...I see we were on the same wavelength.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous8:12 PM

    I love your new piece. Great for this gloomy time of year. What kind of fabric do you use for fabric dying? Together with my bee we dye fabric but the last few time we are getting a faint white line in the fabric and the texture is not solid. Glad your quilting again and hope to see fall picture soon. Thanks for blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh goody - More quilting!!! I LOVE the fishy. You have such a wonderful eye for color and design..it's truely a treat to be able to see your creations.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That little hit of printed fabric with dots caught my eye. Fish bubbles?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I knew you'd get back to quilting! What a charming piece -- and that lower border with the dots, and the little arrows, is wonderful. This has such a happy, whimsical feeling.

    ReplyDelete

Hello,
So nice of you to drop by. I love your comments, and if you would really like a reply, please email me at fibermania at g mail dot com