Monday, April 28, 2008

Wildflower Walk
.
Because of the rain we couldn't work in the yard, so we took a walk in the woods to see if the trillium are blooming. No trillium yet, but it turned out to be Wild Geranium Weekend. Loads of these dainty pinky-lavender blooms were opening. I have these in my garden, cultivars that are brighter, or more compact, and showier, but there are also a few of these that have settled there on their own. I welcome them.

The masses of May Apples look totally prepared for the rain we are having, and underneath

their flowers are opening too. But the big surprise is that there were lots of Jack in the Pulpits to see,
nestled into the green, making them so difficult to spot. More of them, and lots more iris cristata can be seen here.
Posted by Picasa

10 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:37 AM

    Hi, Melody. I can't tell you how much I have been enjoying your 'gardenmania' posts! Living in the southwest means limited planting - drought and wind are real deterrents to gardening. But you have inspired me to try seed planting indoors so I can have things ready for our brief growing season! Keep posting those pix!

    XO

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:11 AM

    I am delurking to make a comment about the wild geraniums... I have some in my garden and the nursery calls them Johnson's Cranesbill geraniums.
    --Annette in Omaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. These pictures bring back memories of when I was a kid in Pennesylvania. I used to love the Mayapples... little umbrellas with a surprise underneath. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous4:51 PM

    I can smell the leaf mold from here.....

    teri

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so lucky to have Jack in the Pulpits. I found one 20 years ago on a vacant plot next to our "farm". I transplanted it to our house on Main Street, then 5 years I transplanted it again to my new house in the woods. There are now 4 Jacks; and I'm thrilled.

    Twinnie Susan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for the pictures of the May Apples.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those Jacks are so beautiful. Very elegant and how delightful right under the sweet may apples. How nice that you now have time to hunt out these little treasures. That's a bonus

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous6:52 AM

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous6:52 AM

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous9:23 AM

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Hello,
So nice of you to drop by. I love your comments, and if you would really like a reply, please email me at fibermania at g mail dot com