Sunday, March 02, 2008

Bread and Socks: The Results Show

...enjoy the ride and don't worry about the destination. Enjoy Dave, nature, a good book, making art when the mood is on you, and enjoy the view! Teri Springer

OK.
I admit I have a bit of an obsessive side.

I can't let go of a challenge until I conquer it. Conquer may be too strong of a word but it is nearly that now with bread. Artisan Bread in Five Minute a Day has crossed my path on the radio, made me look up the recipe, and now I have found bread Nirvana.
It's really the same thing as No Knead bread, but a bigger batch that can be tapped for a small loaf whenever it is needed. One is supposed to make a big soupy batter, let it rise, scoop out some and then add flour until it is the right consistency to form a loaf. This is a no brainer. I even found that if it is not refrigerated, it can become a wonderful sourdough in just a few days. Yummamente.


But wait there's more...



I broke my pizza stone a long time ago and have been using this griddle for pizza in the meantime. So why not use it for a loaf of bread? Alright. I heated it up on top of the stove til it was piping hot (enough to set off the smoke alarm) and then dumped my loaf on it and slid it into the 450 degree oven. I followed the time honored instructions to have a pan of water bubbling on a lower shelf in the oven to produce steam=crispy crust.


It worked!

Big airy holes, crispy crust and the look of a great Italian loaf. I am in Bread Heaven.
.
And now to the socks. Toe up, new garter stitch heel with wrap and turn short rows.



The heel.
This yarn will 'full' when washed so the openess of this knitting will close up somewhat. This was a super fast pair of socks, with no hand work until the end. Weaving in the beginning and end yarns.

Two obsessions conquered. And now onto whatever is next...the garden?

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:30 AM

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought you were going to be in the garden yesterday! I like what you were doing instead though.
    Is the sock yarn set up to make it look like that or did you create a design?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:24 PM

    I have been baking bread since the Age of the Mice, and have never been able to create anything like that lovely crispy-chewy-holey Artisan bread. Definitely need to give that recipe a try.

    LOVE the socks. Very Spring-y.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Mel,

    Well, I think I might finally try some socks!! I've been watching along and I think I can do it!! I've been knitting since I was five years old. Short/Long story - my mother kept trying to get me to stop bothering her - she thought I was too little to learn
    I went out and got some string and two sticks and watched her - walla - I taught myself!!

    I've only knit one sweater - but the socks are so intriguing. I guess I'll research for an easy pattern!! I do love the designs and am crazy about socks!!

    Happy Days To You!! Oh - the bread - YUM YUM I Have a soda bread recipe that's really simple and yummy!!!! Interested?

    Patty
    pattycramer.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous3:17 AM

    The bread book has many errors in it.

    Here is the website the authors set-up

    Recipe Correction Page... (you may want write in the corrections in your copy of the book)

    http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/?page_id=73

    or simply

    http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous12:14 PM

    It sounded as though you made a recipe from the internet. If that is so, can you post it? Or the link? I'm on a very long list for the book from the library, and I'd love to try a recipe before buying the book, especially since it seems to be kind of controversial.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Karen, Here is the link to the bread recipe:
    http://splendidtable.publicradio.org/recipes/accompaniments_fiveminute.shtml

    ReplyDelete

Hello,
So nice of you to drop by. I love your comments, and if you would really like a reply, please email me at fibermania at g mail dot com