Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Nearing the Finish Line
=
Brooke and I talk daily on email and before she arrived she mentioned wanting to make something representational and was kinda stuck. I promised to help. My first questions included, 'Did you draw a full size cartoon?' 'Did you stylize the imagery?' No to both.
She made a couple of sketches a few days after she arrived and we chose to work on this one of the terrepin. I liked the patterning right away and it was simple enough to do the necessary work.
Step one: Make the full size drawing. We used two sheets of Wonder-Under release paper, free and no fusible on it. This must be pinned together, as tape won't stick.

Then a second layer of Wonder-Under release paper is used to make the pattern pieces. Of course we could have used tracing paper, but the W-U was handy. Each piece of the pattern would be used to cut the shapes from different fabrics. We recorded each step, but in the interest of getting right to the finished top, here it is!

20 x 27"
I especially like that she broke up the background and make the water yellow-orange, not blue. The waves and the bubbles are especially nice in a very light value of turquoise. The turtle is recognizeable and not too fussy-realistic. That's what stylizing means. His toes are soooo wonderful.

Great air bubbles

Glory and I were also busy making some Hidden Wells quilt blocks. When we went to the quilt shop she bought some fat quarters of her own and I decided that we could jump into quilting with strips that form blocks. She cut and sewed them and I quilted the top and she finished the pillow herself. Pretty fabu, no?

The Pink and Purple Promising Patience through Perserverance (with Pigs on it) Pillow

Notice the fancy-schmancy poncho that the artist is wearing. Rumdum find!

And what was I doing while the girls were busy being creative?
I designed this banner for Brooke's blog

and finally finished the laundry.


16 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:21 AM

    Fabu is mild. That's spectacular, and she's got Talent! Glory appears to have started her creative career with a pole vault. Yet another reason to Make Things instead of doing housework: the product of a creative process stays made, but empty laundry baskets refill themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I could see the color explosions from here!!! What great creations. Glory has a lot of artistic genes.
    Explain to me the Rumdum?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Rumdum is a short cut family name for rummage sales of all kind. Goodwill, thrift stores, garage and yard sales. Glory of course being a bean pole can find oooodles of way too old for her glamourous sleezy garments at these places. She wants to be 23 but still won't eat her vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:55 AM

    Yep....she's a teenager! And a beautiful, talented one at that. But, hey, look at the gene pool she's swimming in.

    Now IMWTK, HOW does one get ALL the laundry done??

    Speaking of which, I need to go fold!

    teri

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fun! I imagine all of you cutting and stitching away with the windows open to the beautiful weather we've all had.

    Ugh! I've got to fold and finish washing 3 weeks worth of laundry when I really want to devote all my time to setting up and playing with my new multi-function printer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is absolutely beautiful! Is it all done using fusible stuff? What a great talent. Now that she is going I'll be there will be no stopping her.

    susan in spokane

    ReplyDelete
  7. What fantastic projects, all of you! You go girls.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous1:22 PM

    Very nice quilt. I love the early pictures, and the final quilt is WONDERFUL.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! That is a beautiful quilt! You know how much I love turtles- Glory, you did a wonderful job!
    Love the new banner for Brooke's blog, too. Very colorful. I am a bit jealous of all your family art time- I am so glad you are having so much fun together!
    LB

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow--Brooke's quilt is great! Can I be your new sister, and will you teach me to make great representational art quilts?

    I applaud Glory's "Pink and Purple Promising Patience through Perserverance (with Pigs on it) Pillow," too. Very perspicacious.

    And the banner? You three are talented.

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a great art retreat you girls are having! I'm jealous...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just wanted to tell you that you make my day! I love looking at your blog each day and seeing what you have come up with. I just wanted you to know.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! I love it Glory. Great colors. BTW, when I have to use two sheets of release paper, I just sew a long running stitch down the middle...just push one sheet over the other about 1/4 inch..it sews up great. No pins to prick fingers.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love Glory's smile. She is such a happy girl! And great taste in fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have NEVER seen the bottom of a laundry basket (outside of a store) before! How did you accomplish it??

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous12:10 PM

    Corky at 11:06pm: Your comment made me howl!!!

    Ms Mel, both you and Brooke have the best sense of colour. That is the cutest quilt 'eyes' have ever seen. Glory is an allround winner as usual, I bet you could market her beautiful smile.

    ReplyDelete

Hello,
So nice of you to drop by. I love your comments, and if you would really like a reply, please email me at fibermania at g mail dot com