Thursday, December 13, 2007

Homemade Bailey's Irish Cream

Got your attention?
While the cost of living in Tennesee is much lower than in Illinois (I compare prices for a hobby) the tax on liquor, wine, well, all spirits seems to be much higher than I wanna spend. And while I am complaining, it is difficult to find a liquor store. We have to travel over 50 miles to get to one. That hasn't stopped us from imbibing, it just means we have to stock up.
I tend to buy boxed wines, since I only want to pour a glass or two a night and opening a bottle encourages over drinking. The boxes keep the wine from spoiling, stack nicely, and best of all don't break when dropped. Of course, one can't be snobby about boxed wines, but then who is there to be snobby with?
For the holidays we thought it might be nice, if it ever gets cold, to have a nip of something festive of an evening. So before our trip into town I looked up the possibility of making some glogg or something similar, and stumbled upon the recipe above. I was hooked. I already had the eggs, the extracts and the sweetened condensed milk, so the booze was all I needed.
I mixed it up in minutes and found that lovely sealed-tight carafe at Wal-Mart for $4. I guess that means this will have to be a yearly tradition, now that I have invested in the jug. Ha!
By the way, it is delish!
PS. Yesterday's pattern is available from Schoolhouse Press and is called the Adult Surprise Jacket. I haven't ordered it, so I know nothing about how to make it. Other than the WIKI entry.

7 comments:

  1. Wow, that sounds decadent and wonderful. Lemme see, chocolate, sweetened condensed milk and liquor? Boy oh boy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:41 PM

    There are recipes for making your own sweetened condensed milk; the diabetic ones substitute Splenda, which is at least a calorie reducer. Of course it could be heretical in this concoction.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummers... but make sure your eggs aren't cracked... raw eggs can have nasty beasties in them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous7:33 PM

    Heck, to save calories (& fear of eggs!) just use Egg Beaters! They're already pasturized! Can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've moved to the hills of Tennessee, making moonshine and bought a jug! What next! Next you will be listening to the Tennessee Mafia Jug Band. Say it 'ain't so!

    http://www.tennesseemafiajugband.com/

    ReplyDelete

Hello,
So nice of you to drop by. I love your comments, and if you would really like a reply, please email me at fibermania at g mail dot com