Sunday, September 09, 2007


Straight to Video



I am beginning at the end of my Swiss visit because this movie is just too much fun not to share immediately.

My hostess Verena, drove me from St. Moritz back to her house in Huetten, a suburb of Zurich. We had a lovely drive through snow covered mountains, onto a car-train through a tunnel, and out again onto a highway which brought us to a restaurant in Heidi-Land where we had a great lunch. This area is really where the story of Heidi was filmed, and is again, so storybook-like.






Verena lives in the former home of musician Bert Kaempfert who wrote such mega-hits as Strangers in the Night, Spanish Eyes, and Danke Shoen, for example. I stayed in Bert's bedroom, the second floor window was mine. The view was incredible.




Next to her beautiful home is a farm which is part of her holdings and then another house that is 500 years old. The house is being restored by a man and his new family consisting of his wife, a two year old boy and twin daughters of only a few months. What a handful he has! The setting is so beautiful with its hillside aspect and the view of Lake of Zurich (Zurichsee) and Zurich in the distance.

I could not believe my eyes. I am so happy that I can share this with you.

Everything about this trip was like a fairytale. The deer are Verena's family herd.


The stag had just lost his velvet from his antlers. You can see some remaining bits on the left side.




The farm also has cows, chickens, and sheep. I marveled at how verdant and lush it all was.


An espaliered pear tree, loaded with fruit, lies against the farm house.


The view of Huetten with Lake of Zurich in the distance.


4 comments:

  1. We came very close to eating at Marche tonight, but we opted to eat closer to home. But there are at least two Marche restaurants in Singapore.

    Duh! Wonderful pictures! Bert Kaempfert? Oh my gosh. You must have had a tune in your heart the whole time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful, wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it looks like fairy tale land. What a fabulous trip it must have been.

    good luck with the rest of the move.
    xoxo
    judy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love how your hostess says "Oh MeloDY" with the accent at the end. Charming.

    ReplyDelete

Hello,
So nice of you to drop by. I love your comments, and if you would really like a reply, please email me at fibermania at g mail dot com