Monday, May 21, 2007

The May Girls Party
A slideshow of the party for the May Girls yesterday is now viewable here.

Links: Frieda Anderson, Judy Perez, Emily Parson, Anne Lullie, and Laura Wasilowski
Recipes for the onion and sundried tomato dips, and the sidebar has the recipe for the No Knead Bread
The cocktail I devised is Put the Lime in the Coconut
I can Coco Loco coconut milk
I large can frozen limeade
32 oz pineapple juice
12 oz white rum
8 oz water
plenty of ice...blender whirl and drink!
Lime slices for garnish

Meatloaf ala Mel

one whole chopped onion carmelized in butter and olive oil
one bunch minced parseley
five cloves minced garlic
whirl these in the food processor until a paste forms

add to:

1.5 pounds of ground sirloin
1.5 pounds of ground pork
two eggs

1/2 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
1/2 cup red wine
lots of freshly ground black pepper, ground anise, and kosher salt
Mix by hand and form into a loaf

Bake in a 350 degree oven for one hour or until meat thermometer reads medium beef, about 140.

Mushroom sauce. Too simple for words. A pound of baby portobello mushrooms chopped, and sauteed in butter and olive oil with a few minced cloves of garlic. Add three cans of Campbell's Beefy Mushroom soup and two cups of good red wine (reduced by half, on the stove, not from sampling).
I let the meatloaf cool completely, then sliced it and added the cold sauce on top, and stored it in Gladware for a couple of days. To reheat for the party, just let it come to room temperture, and place in serving dish in the oven at 350 for 20 minutes. Delish!

Horseradish Mashed Potatoes...just add two heaping tablespoons prepared white horseradish to your regular mashed potatoes. It adds a nice zip.

Dessert: Brownies with coffee and Moose Tracks ice cream, hot fudge sauce from a jar, and cool whip.
Groan!

8 comments:

  1. That is a very neat trick, and well worth the wait, 8am girl! Wish I could have been there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks fab, I am sure it was even better than it looked. So much talent in one room! It deserved a great party.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:15 AM

    You really put on a splash Ms Mel...I think next year I'll be a May Girl too, regardless of when my bd is...lol.
    You all seems to have had a grand time...once again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So festive and fun! (It looks even better than the party Judy attended last week!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cameras were a little smaller, and really it was a lot more fun.

    The slide show is great Mel! now I have to go see if i can use picassa with a Mac.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful photos! I love the one of Judy in her shawl - and the food looks fabulous too! lol
    oxoo
    (judy's sis)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh what fun! I'm going to have to try that cocktail!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous1:57 PM

    Ah ha! It is true, Americans do eat only with a fork with one hand in their lap. My DD told me this recently and it got me thinking....when did your society do away with the knife?

    ReplyDelete

Hello,
So nice of you to drop by. I love your comments, and if you would really like a reply, please email me at fibermania at g mail dot com