Saturday, February 03, 2007

Mango Mood



(click)



Mango Mood

Hand dyed cottons, fused, hand and machine quilted. 8.75"x19.5"


I seem to have forsaken the idea of sticking to a single color scheme. But the combinations here are related and semi-analogous, if nothing else.
Now I am feeling more at ease with this horizontal layout. Stretching the shapes is one solutions, but I know there are other options too.

I had a comment from a friend who felt it was too bad that I have been working small, as these pieces won't bring in much money when sold. But at the moment I am more interested in what I am learning with this new approach and think I should stay in the 'homework' size until I am satisfied with what I need to know.
And that reminded me of my high school English class. Quite a leap. I had handed in a composition which I had written at the kitchen table, complete with grease stain. My teacher was not amused and warned me that even homework should be done with the aim of good presentation. So that is in my mind as I tackle this format, to do the job as though it were ready for prime time.

15 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:39 AM

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice. I like the symmetry. The colors are great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:28 AM

    This is ohhhh sooo very pretty!!! and the dots don't 'disturb' at all.
    Love it love it love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fuschias and greens...looks like complementary colors to me, maybe pushed a bit into orange and limes. It's not 'all color, all the time' so it still counts as limited color.

    I, too, was wondering when larger work would commence. I suspect your homework will eventually give you the vision for a larger piece...even if it's a rainbow explosion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous12:03 PM

    Wow, I'm nuts about the whole rectangular thing. I'm not sure why they speak to me more than squares do, but they do and always have. Funny, the comment about the small sizes not bringing such big prices. I was thinking that if you ever sold them, people with smaller art budgets would be so lucky to finally be able to acquire one of your wonderful pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amen...to what janice said about small art budgets

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous1:49 PM

    Oooh, I disagree about the size. I think they're perfect! And if you ever wanted to sell them, I think they'd be gorgeous as a grouping. Beautiful color studies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous2:17 PM

    Your article is very informative and helped me further.

    Thanks, David

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous4:30 PM

    Woweee! All of these are gorgeous!
    I think the sizes are swell. When I try to imagine them larger, Yvonne Porcella's works come to mind.
    Those are great, but sometimes it's the smaller, "bite size" piece of art that becomes a jewel. Like that luscious Lindt chocolate ball that sometimes is more satisfying than a whole slice of chocolate cake.
    (ps: thanks for taking so many of us strangers along on your life journey!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous4:55 PM

    Not to put too fine a point on it, I love it, love it, love it.
    And Not Ready for Prime Time? You gotta be kidding!
    Totally agree about small sizes being saleable, especially to those who otherwise might not be able to collect your wonderful work. And isn't it a pity that "real art" is sometimes priced by the square foot?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous5:51 PM

    Melody,
    Did you get my private email?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lisa,
    Nope I only got the comment which gave me no email address.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous9:00 PM

    Love this one, Melody. Are you selling them? I'd be interested in this one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the sizes - Why stick to something just cos others do. We have to try different formats, sizes etc - we can learn from it all. I love these pieces - I know I've said it before but they really are little jewels:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love them all!

    ReplyDelete

Hello,
So nice of you to drop by. I love your comments, and if you would really like a reply, please email me at fibermania at g mail dot com