Tuesday, August 01, 2006

PFD Muslin
.

.
In the past I have mentioned dyeing this muslin, and called it Nature's Dyeable. This is the new name. Nature's Way by Roc-lon #408. JoAnn Fabrics and other stores carry Roc-lon muslins, but not usually this item. It may be possible to get your local quilt store to order it, since this bolt came from Brewer Sewing Supplies, a wholesale distributor used by most retail fabric/quilt/sewing stores. If I can easily get it, so can they. It may be less expensive than ordering a bolt from Dharma or Pro-Chem. It retails for $2.30 a yard, on a 50 yard bolt.
Before washing, the muslin measures 47-48" wide and shrinks down to about 45-6". When I cut yardage, before washing and dyeing, I measure a yard at 38" and I always prewash it before dyeing. Sometimes I snip every 38" to make an extended 3 yard piece, and do four at a time in the washer. If the fabric is only snipped at the selvedge, it won't ravel as much as it would if I actually cut it into yard pieces before washing. I may add a cup of bleach to the prewash, especially if I plan to dye lighter values.
Muslin is nice because it has a certain texture, like velvet or suede if it is dried completely in the dryer. This means that its may come out pebbly, versus easy to iron smoothly. It is a toss up. The selvedges can be very pleated and difficult to iron out. Grrrr. Pressing is easier if the fabric is dried to a damp stage. At that point, a hot iron will produce a crisp finish which will soften up again with handling.
The suede-like effect is a result of container dyeing, and the mottling from uneven dyed areas, and veining. Add a bit of black to the dye and the fabric will look even more leathery.
I like the look of quilted muslin, since the texture is different than the other cottons, and silks I use. Muslin fuses beautifully, and frays nicely too, for more texture.

3 comments:

  1. Hi,
    Can't belive how much cheaper your fabric is in the US compared to the UK. I converted your 2.3 dollars to UK pounds which is about 1.27 UK pounds retail - so I guess you get it half that price wholesale??? Around 0.6 UK pounds, cheapest cotton for dyeing I can find is 1.70 uk pounds (wholesale rate). A significate difference of 2 US dolars a yard.
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love using muslin for my pieces...

    ReplyDelete

Hello,
So nice of you to drop by. I love your comments, and if you would really like a reply, please email me at fibermania at g mail dot com