Wednesday, August 30, 2006


Cutting Those Shapes

Begin with a tiny square of fused fabric.




Using a sharp pair of scissors, cut away a triangle from each side of the square. Save the triangles for confetti.


A similar method is used to cut circles. Turn the fabric as the scissors are cutting and remove a dot from the fabric. There are no punches that work. I have tried them all. Yes, there are die-cutting systems out there, but I don't have one. They make everything uniform. What fun is that?


When I made Moonstruck in 1997, I cut all the mosaics as squares and trimmed them to a rounded edge so that they looked worn.


Matchstick Moons #2 is the inspiration for the current piece, and those silk matchsticks were cut with a rotary cutter,

The X shapes were used in Sunflowers II, so I have been there before too. Nothing new under the sun.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:22 AM

    Moonstruck is absolutely insane! and absolutely fantastic, how did you ever stay sane while doing it??? You are a genius!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:29 AM

    Maybe nothing new as you say but something wonderful that's for sure...I love the basic shapes put to work in a piece, and you know how to do it to bring them to life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that I see how you do it.....it looks easy. Lots of cuting but the effect is worth it. Love how these pieces are working out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your work is fabulous - such great use of colour and shape :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous3:58 PM

    This quilt is fantastic. I love the colors & those little matchsticks!

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete

Hello,
So nice of you to drop by. I love your comments, and if you would really like a reply, please email me at fibermania at g mail dot com