Monday, July 03, 2006

How to Relax

Brooke, Popeye and Glory enjoy a video while wrapped in my knitted creations.

(the Before example)
I spent the morning repainting Beachwalk.

I am removing all the detail and reshaping the figures. Soon the faces will be completely gone and unrecognizable. The derriers will disappear and only the merest form of the figure will be left.


The subtleties of the inferred shape are my aim. This is the most difficult yet necessary exercise for me. Letting go of the detail and IMPLYING the figure rather than dipicting it. The atmosphere or mood is my goal.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:32 PM

    Hey Melody,

    Great process, I love witnessing the evolution of your painting style....stick with it no matter how tough it is.

    Smart woman, delegating that relaxing thing to others!

    Anne on Pender Island

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is fascinating watching the process of an artist at work. One reason why I so enjoy working with a computer is that I can save intermediate stages, and then use them subsequently should I so desire.

    I also find interesting your desire to work towards subtle hint of shape, whereas you have recently said that what attracts you is outline. The great thing about working in different media is that you can pursue one means of expression in one medium - like the textile work which is more suited to outlines, and another means of expression through painting.

    The whole process obviously gives you great pleasure - and it is a pleasure to watch too. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:23 AM

    If the hand is an example of what you are working towards....wow. I love it. I was looking at my bridge quilt the other day and knew something was wrong with it...now I know what it is....and I know I can't accomplish what I want in fabric. The edges are too defined....I want the suggestion of the rocks that make up the bridge and the suggestion of the water....sigh....guess I need to learn to paint....

    teri

    ReplyDelete

Hello,
So nice of you to drop by. I love your comments, and if you would really like a reply, please email me at fibermania at g mail dot com