Sunday, December 11, 2005

Quilts Small and Large

I have read a few blogs lately discussing small vs large work and of course I have to add my 2 cents.
I really enjoy making small work, since it gets made so quickly and is more affordable, and therefore it will not stick around long enough to get moldy in my closet.
However, now that I have made two larger works, I really really love the impact these pieces make and want to make lots more that are big like Red and Green.
But eeeuuuww, they will be too big to bring with me to most gigs and will not be as affordable, especially after I quilt them, (which will really make me value the time I have spent on each one).
But, if they were smaller, they would not have the oomph they project at this scale, which is human being sized. If you hang a quilt on the wall and it is the same size as you are, you get a much different feeling from it than if it were 30x40 for instance.

In my case, I have to have the time and mental space to be able to work for more than one day on a quilt in order to even consider making something big. Finally I have that time now, so back to the studio.

6 comments:

  1. When you said human size quilt I thought of making a quilt as tall as I am and as far wide as my arms reach...the idea is growing on me but I don't know if I can eliminate the factor of the physical size of my working space and how it effects my decision on what constitutes large for me, ya know?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:39 PM

    I so agree with you. I think making affordable work that is smaller and marketable can support making the occasional bigger than life quilt to enter in a show.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seeing Big Green hanging from the wall, it is wonderful. I have a much better apprecation seeing it in this pic. It is gorgeous. And it makes so much of a statement because of the size. Makes me want to try making something big!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:15 AM

    I am also starting to work bigger. But, I have to say Melody....most people I know do not think of 30 x 40 as *small.*

    teri

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love, love, love the new large pieces. I'm hoping you find a market for this large scale work to make it profitable to continue to work BIG.

    ReplyDelete

Hello,
So nice of you to drop by. I love your comments, and if you would really like a reply, please email me at fibermania at g mail dot com