Thursday, August 04, 2005

Speed Dried Silks




Tuesday afternoon I dyed up a bunch of silks. I figured I would wash it out the next morning and take it to my lecture Wednesday night. It wasn't nearly dry enough to wash out, so I lugged all the platters out to the deck to dry. It was a very hot and muggy day and it took no time at all to dry this batch out.

Popeye does quality control.

The wind blew off the top layers from some of the platters, so those got draped on chairs and the railing to complete the drying process.

The intense heat makes the silk dry unevenly and forms these really beautiful patterns.



Unfortunately the textures diminish slightly in the washout.

The action shot, of my silk load.

I had a great time at my lecture, and really enjoyed myself. What I mean is, I really enjoyed me as I disconnected and listened to myself talk and heard the audience laff.

I love my job.

I love the audience and being the speaker. Who knew? I was always miserably shy as a kid and my knees would shake, literally, when ever I was called upon to speak.

Now that my level of confidence is raised through quilting, I really relish public speaking. Of course it helps that I have given many awful slide presentations in the past, and learned from those experiences, and now that I have a digital projector, it is sooooo much better, faster and easier to do a good job.

A normal slide presentation usually has about 80 slides and they are pretty static, meaning they aren't animated. I gave an hour talk and had 168 images, and because I use Power Point I have the ability to animate the images and make them swoosh in, dissolve, spin etc. It is so gimmicky and fun. I think this is definitely the wave of the future, and while most of us have our own projector it would be nice if guilds and shows started buying them, so we don't have to lug ours on the plane.

Laura, Frieda, Emily and Moi, the faculty of the Chicago School of Fusing.


Three out of four faculty members have their own digital projectors, and Emily will no doubt jump on the bandwagon once the kidlets are all in school.

I must give credit where credit is due. It was Caryl Fallert who did the legwork to find the very best brand and kindly, no, generously, gave me the information. I have passed it onto you, as I know you will ask. And as is so often the case, this projector is probably being discontinued, and is dirt cheap compared to what I originally paid.

Here it is. Of course you must also have a laptop.
Go for one that is really lightweight while you're at it.
Is this all alot of stuff, and a lot of money? You bet. But sometimes you just gotta invest in yourself. It's showbiz, people!

9 comments:

  1. Having taken a class with you in Aug 04 -- before you had the projector and then again in May 05 -- after you went high tech, I'll say it's an amazing addition. Not only do you use it for lectures, but you have it right in the classroom. Big bonus! In fact, you should highlight this on the workshop section of your website. This (among other talents) puts you above and beyond the average teacher. Relish?! You're too much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those silks are gorgeous! Popeye is out cold! LOL! What'd you feed him Mrs. Mel?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, wow, wow! Just looking at those colours and textures is better than chocolate! (we...llll.... almost...). Especially since it almost never gets hot enough in the UK to do that (that's my excuse anyway!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd like to see an after photo of the silks to see how much texture change there is after washing. They're gorgeous.

    And I heart Popeye. I have a Thing for chubby orange kitties.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melody may I just say lovely hand dyes, talented sister and niece wow I bet you were overwhelmed when you recieved the gift....
    Now I must also add that is a kick ass bbq ... need one like that here in the UK.

    Sandy
    Dangling by a thread

    ReplyDelete
  6. First, the diorama your sister made is fabulous and your niece is cute, cute, cute! It sounds like you had a weekend in heaven!

    Second, the patterns on that silk are wonderful!

    Last, I have a hard time picturing you as shy (but I'll trust what you said). I found you very entertaining when you where here back in January...I only regretted I not being at my best...but you are a fabulous teacher and I couldn't see your lectures being anything short of that ;)!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Man oh Man, more scrumptious fabrics! Those silks with the texture look especially yummy! I am sure the ladies that listened to you last night were as enthralled as Chris and I were this weekend. I wish I had had a tape recorder to capture everything.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous9:21 AM

    msn nickleri
    msn nickleri
    msn nickleri
    msn nickleri
    msn nickleri
    msn nickleri
    şekilli msn nickleri
    şekilli nickler
    güzel msn nickleri
    frmtr
    msn nickleri
    .
    .
    .

    wp themes
    blogger templates
    wordpress temaları
    wordpress themes
    wp themes
    wordpress temaları
    blogger templates
    wp themes
    blogger themes
    blogger templates


    erken rezervasyon
    129.93.251.82
    free link directory
    e-directorylive
    msn nickleri
    msn nickleri
    test atölyesi
    testatölyesi
    test atölyesi
    testatölyesi
    Msn Nickleri
    free warez
    Msn avatarları
    free wordpress templates
    free wordpress themes
    free wp themes
    free wp themes
    free wp templates
    blogger tips template
    blogger template
    blogger themes
    free blogger templates
    free blogger themes
    wordpress templates
    blogger templates

    sandbox
    msn nickleri
    webmaster
    iyinet webmaster forumu 2008 seo yarışması
    dmoz
    iyinet webmaster forumu 2008 seo yarışması
    msn nickleri
    iyinet webmaster forumu 2008 seo yarışması
    iyinet webmaster forumu 2008 seo yarışması
    iyinet webmaster forumu 2008 seo yarışması
    iyinet webmaster forumu 2008 seo yarışması
    iyinet webmaster forumu 2008 seo yarışması
    iyinet webmaster forumu 2008 seo yarışması
    iyinet webmaster forumu 2008 seo yarışması
    iyinet webmaster forumu 2008 seo yarışması
    iyinet webmaster forumu 2008 seo yarışması
    iyinet webmaster forumu 2008 seo yarışması
    iyinet webmaster forumu 2008 seo yarışması

    dmoz
    alexa
    kaiser_dealxa
    seo uzmanı
    seo
    iyinet webmaster forumu 2008 seo yarışması



    msn nickleri
    msn nickleri
    freewaresmania
    msn nickleri
    msn
    msn nickleri
    msn nickleri
    msn nickleri
    msn nickleri
    msn nickleri
    msn nickleri
    msn nickleri
    msn nickleri
    todd livingston
    aşk şiirleri
    aşk şiirleri
    haberler
    msn nickleri
    evden eve nakliyat
    evden eve nakliyat
    e-okul
    health articles
    msn nickleri
    msn nickleri
    msn nickleri
    credito
    pret
    msn nicknames
    msn nickleri
    msn nickleri
    hilary duff
    lazer epilasyon
    lazer epilasyon
    ramazan ayı
    msn nickleri
    msn spitznamen
    msn nickleri
    hayal bahçesi
    şarkı sözleri
    seo yarışması
    msn nickleri
    gafoloji
    msn nickleri
    msn nickleri


    msn nickleri
    tsubasa
    ev dekorasyon

    msn nickleri

    yeni msn nickleri

    msn avatarları

    komik msn nickleri

    delikanlı msn nickleri

    güzel msn avatarları

    şekilli msn nickleri

    msn avatarları

    beşiktaş nickleri
    aşk sevgi nickleri
    duygusal msn nickleri
    damardan nickler
    dini nickler
    nefret nickleri
    nickler
    rap nickleri
    webmaster
    backlink
    kaiser_dealxa
    wordpress temaları
    pagerank
    seo
    msn nickleri
    romantik nickler
    yalnızlık nickleri
    yazılı msn avatarları
    yeni msn nickler

    dantel örgü modelleri
    dantel oya modelleri
    webmaster
    alexa
    supremacyshowtime
    aşk nickleri
    bebek nickleri
    msn avatarları
    webmaster
    Kahraman Türkler
    civciv
    hayalbahcesi
    Msn Nickleri
    msn ifadeleri
    Msn Nickleri
    Msn Nickleri
    msn nickleri
    toddplivingston
    msn nickleri
    msn nickleri
    msn nickleri
    basketbol
    borsa
    haberler
    spor
    müzik
    iç haberler
    futbol
    yusuf
    yusuf
    yusuf
    leylek
    msn nickleri
    msn nickleri
    health articles
    gafoloji
    warez



    [code]Msn Nickleri[/code][code]
    webmaster[/code][code]
    Kahraman Türkler[/code][code]
    civciv[/code][code]
    hayalbahcesi[/code][code]
    Msn Nickleri[/code][code]
    msn ifadeleri[/code][code]
    Msn Nickleri[/code][code]
    Msn Nickleri[/code][code]
    msn nickleri[/code][code]
    toddplivingston[/code][code]
    msn nickleri[/code][code]
    msn nickleri[/code][code]
    msn nickleri[/code]
    [code]
    msn nickleri[/code]
    [code]
    basketbol[/code]
    [code]
    borsa[/code]
    [code]
    dış haberler[/code]
    [code]
    futbol[/code]
    [code]
    haberler[/code]
    [code]
    iç haberler[/code]
    [code]
    müzik[/code]
    [code]
    spor[/code]
    [code]
    voleybol[/code]
    [code]
    tarih[/code]
    [code]
    teknoloji[/code]
    [code]
    blogger themes[/code]
    [code]
    blogy navideno themes[/code]
    [code]
    msn nickleri[/code]
    [code]
    darlehen[/code]
    [code]
    health articles[/code]
    [code]
    grup hepsi[/code]


    "iyinet webmaster forumu 2008 seo yarışması"

    Msn avatarları


    "iyinet webmaster forumu 2008 seo yarışması"

    "iyinet webmaster forumu 2008 seo yarışması"

    msn

    hayalbahcesi
    forum merkezi
    muhabbet
    oyun merkezi
    genel bilgiler
    -
    hayalbahcesi

    hayalbahcesi
    hayalbahcesi
    hayalbahcesi
    hayalbahcesi
    hayalbahcesi
    hayalbahcesi
    hayalbahcesi
    hayalbahcesi
    hayalbahcesi
    forum
    komik
    msn avatarları
    tsubasa
    vbulletin
    aşk
    sevgi
    msn nickleri

    ReplyDelete

Hello,
So nice of you to drop by. I love your comments, and if you would really like a reply, please email me at fibermania at g mail dot com