Tuesday, August 23, 2005

The Lure of that Evil Yarn..

It has me in its vice-like grip. These cones of wool were one of the bargains from the famed Meredyth's garage sale. They were only $2 a piece on the second day when everything was half off after 2pm. (I am an expert at garage sale-ing).

I planned to dye up some since my wool-Jones is never satisfied, and this lot was the perfect stuff for my dye practicing.
Yesterday I followed a link and found instructions for dyeing with Kool-Aid, which seemed so simple and quick, rather than kettle dyeing. This method would be accomplished in the microwave. I only needed some Kool-Aid to start the process.


And O yeah, some skeined yarn. I found out this morning that my kitchen counter is an amazing one yard wide! So I started wrapping a skein and in no time had 140 yards, approximately.


One is never enough so I wound nine more skeins.

Yesterday I bought mucho packets of Kool-Aid and Wylers and already have all the necessary Gladware plastic containers to put in the microwave. Now to clean up the kitchen and transform it into Dyeroom #2. Kool-aid is nearly non-toxic if you leave out the sugar so this can be done in my regular kitchen without concern for contamination.

So more later, after I get this underway.

7 comments:

  1. I love the colors, but I have to ask...Do they smell as yummy as they look?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm trying this immediately. Townsend bought ten packs of Koolaid last year and they are still sitting in the cabinet because he insists that he will drink them one day. Not happening. Even if he got the urge, they'll be gone by tomorrow! Yeah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:05 PM

    You are WAY too productive! If you are too busy with the oranges you can send me the blues and green!!

    teri

    ReplyDelete

Hello,
So nice of you to drop by. I love your comments, and if you would really like a reply, please email me at fibermania at g mail dot com