I saw this arbor on Pinterest and decided we needed one. Mostly because last week I found a bunch of volunteer Sweet Autumn Clematis growing all over in the wrong spots in the yard. We already have two huge vines but what's one or two more? Experience tells me that those upstarts would cover this arbor completely in just two seasons.
I dug up and potted six of the clematis volunteers and then Dave and I shopped online and found this kit we could assemble ourselves.
I am leaving out the mud, the blood and the beer part of the story ...but we did manage to figure it out pretty much ourselves with the aid of these instructions. We work very well together, heh.
We carried it around the yard and tried it in various spots. We'll leave it here for a few days to see if there isn't a better place for it.
It is pretty nutty to buy an arbor just to have a place to plant more clematis vines, but now that we are really old farts, it is just the thing we find ourselves doing. We joked that we now need a wood burning tool to fashion a sign to post above the arbor that says Agnes and Clarence.
At our old house in Illinois we had lots of clematis surrounding the deck. Var. C. Attackus.
Before blooming and after the blooms open.