Hmmm, seeing the blocks laid out here poses more questions than answers. When it was only eleven blocks I thought it needed a few more blocks, like a total of 15 to make it work. Then I thought it was too busy, so I added three inch borders to space the blocks out. At 15 it seemed too long and skinny, so now I think one more block will make it better.
Now looking at the unbordered blocks, I like those better. Grrr.
UPDATE....I'VE GOT A SOLUTION! Rather than unpick all those borders, I'll just slice off everything but one finished inch, which will still give the block a good look and help them go together easily. Phew!
The blocks on the right have been cut down and a strip of stripes are inserted before sewing the blocks together. The tiny finished half inch border 'fixes' my problem with the too busy look of the blocks. See this detail shot for a better view.
There will be a narrow vertical connecting strip of stripes which will be added after the long blocksets are quilted. Also on row 2, the negative space will be filled with patchwork, and not another block. The design makes me do this.