Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Next . . .

My new finished knit for January, another Driftwood, in merino wools.
Monday was a flurry of energy, with a painting first, Cogs, and then the big cleanup while I washed clothes. I love my new washer and now will do laundry before it piles up into Melody's Mountain. Is this still the honeymoon period or is this a real life change? I don't know, but it also has something to do with these new High Efficiency All Mighty pacs.
So easy to use, no measuring, just pop one in and go. Not a paid endorsement. I just like 'em.

Then I walked into the studio and decided it was time to end Painting January. This is my messy supply table before and after.


Even cleared off my worksurface and raised it up to quilting height, as it had been lower at sitting height.
I am getting ready for the third annual

QUILT ALONG WITH MELODY!
Yay!!!

I've been collecting ideas on my Pinterest Board: Quilts to Piece, which is where you will find links to all of these below. Apparently there is a resurgence of enthusiasm for Trip Around the World and I am hopping on board. I have made one, back in 1985, and it was queen size, made from all solids, but now I plan to use my 2.5" precut print strips to get started, along with some strips I cut myself, of prints and solids. Simple piecing and easy assembly, thanks to a great tutorial here: Buttontree Lane. Even beginners will enjoy making this one.


After prints I will try my hand at solids+black/white. I ordered some black fabric back in December, along with white, since I really never use either, and will challenge myself to put them to use. I have used black a lot in my early days and it smacks of laziness (for me, don't get your undies in a bundle!) and I would have used hand dyed darks that I mixed myself. But now I want to undo my old habits and stop being so rigid.



There is something I like about both of these quilts, strips cut into triangles and then the big waving crosses. Simple but elegant.
The way QAWM works is that we all just make quilts for the month of February. If you like what I am making, join in and post your work on a soon to be announced Flickr group. If you want to do your own thing, great! I would love to get emails full of pictures and 'stories' if necessary and I will post your stuff here too. If you've already done one of these quilts, show them off, please.
I am going to pre-wash my black fabric and press it (all four yards!) and see how it looks...if it stays a good dark black. Fingers crossed.
++++++++
A word about Painting January. Thanks for sticking by me, while I practiced and worked out this new direction. I felt like I learned a lot and loosened up. Not everything I painted was glorious, but it was supremely enjoyable, which is saying a lot. I don't think I was anxiety ridden even once. This is so different, and so much healthier.

Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

  1. I've tried a number of different black fabrics. My favorite is Michael Miller Jet Black--the deepest black and a decent hand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, I LOVE love love that red and white sweater! Secondly, I have resisted the urge to do a scrappy Trip Around the World all January, but as I am almost done with my current quilt in progress and do not have another commitment until March, I am going to take the plunge and join QAWM! . Thanks for being the 'final straw' !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dang it, Melody!!! The stripes in your little sleeves line up perfectly with the body of your sweater! How do you DO that?
    Thanks for being such an inspiration and so much fun to follow.
    Maggie in Arizona

    ReplyDelete
  4. Annie9:01 PM

    The resurgence of Scrappy Trip Around the World quilts is all due to Bonnie Hunter and the free pattern she has had on her site for years. Check it out at :
    http://quiltville.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have always been afraid of the trip around the world because of all the matching points. But I am going to give it a try! Thanks for suggesting it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Scrappy Trip Around the World is the in quilt isn't it? I so want to do one but I still haven't finished the current quilt and I have one for a quiltalong and and and... and really it is just I have to dig out some treasured jelly rolls because the idea of digging through scraps to find enough material for them is too much to face. I don't have many scraps cos I try to use up all the fabric so I don't have leftovers to store.

    ReplyDelete

Hello,
So nice of you to drop by. I love your comments, and if you would really like a reply, please email me at fibermania at g mail dot com