Thursday, October 18, 2012

Hapi Coat



This is the traditional Japanese Hapi coat, which is often made from Yukata cloth, or a cotton Ikat. I have three that I bought in a used clothing store in Japan, years ago. I love wearing them because they are a half sleeved cardigan style, and with my short little arms, I needn't roll up my sleeves to wash dishes, etc.
My latest knit is shaped like the Hapi coat and is just as useful.


The design is simple, bottom up with vents at each side. No shaping, just knit up to the armholes, divided and knit fronts and back separately to the shoulder line. The lapel section is knit separately and extended straight up, connected with a three needle bind off and stitched to the back neck. The sleeves are picked up and knit straight, also no shaping until the cuff, which is gathered slightly by K2tog, K1, all around, then finished with six ridges of garter.
The yarn is Aslan Trends Artesanal, 9 skeins, size 7US needles.
 I knit this cardigan a while ago and never got around to photographing it. It is a variation of Driftwood, but changed from the buttoned down pullover of the original. This pattern has the contiguous shoulder, which is really easy, and fits so well. The yarn is Malabrigo Rios in two colorways, with  the purple bands at the bottom and cuff from Cascade 220, size 8US needles, 3 skeins of each, and just a bit of the Cascade. So yummy to knit and to wear.




Posted by Picasa

7 comments:

  1. Love both sweathers esp. the Hapi Sweather. I knit, but I am such a beginner---I have to have a pattern. I am however going to draft a pattern for the cloth Hapi---I have the perfect piece of fabric. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love the simplicity of the Hapi coat. That's a great cardigan. I'm going to pin this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melody -

    Love the Hapi coat sweater. Do you have a pattern for this?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hapi coat pattern is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just wanted to show you my Hapi Coat. Thanks for the inpiration!
    http://www.thequilter.blogspot.com/2014/04/not-friday-saturday-otn.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wild Oak Boutique offers a variety of fashionable and unique clothes that suit different tastes and preferences. This boutique guarantees a pleasant shopping experience with its trendy collections and quality products. Coupons are a great way to get those amazing finds while saving on your purchases. Whether you want a stylish dress, cozy loungewear or statement accessories, using coupons at Wild Oak Boutique helps you to enhance your style without spending too much money. You can make your shopping spree more exciting by using wild oak boutique coupons for discounts, special offers or even freebies.

    ReplyDelete

Hello,
So nice of you to drop by. I love your comments, and if you would really like a reply, please email me at fibermania at g mail dot com