Friday, March 02, 2012

A Tiny Shirt


As promised, I set about to sew a shirt from the new pattern. Before I use my 'good' fabric I have to make a sample out of my not as good fabric, to see if the pattern fits or needs adjusting. This is the hard part, because I am right between two sizes, with big hopes of getting to the smaller size soon. Which size should I make? I went for the smaller one and held my breath through all the cutting and sewing. I like to trace the pattern with pattern paper, making notes to myself all over it, and then removing 3/8" of the seam allowance so I can go directly to the serger to make the thing.


We were having storms and had hail twice, but it was the thunder that got the dawg's attention. Nothing drastic for us, but I know my niece got off school early and my sister came home early too. Nice afternoon to be home...and taking a nap.
The shirt was a breeze to make and all it needs are buttons. Yes! It fits!!
 It is always dicey to try to shoot a picture of myself in the latest garment. If I smile it always looks fake, and if I don't I look grumpy. I am not grumpy, I am delighted!  I won this fabric from a blog contest a few years ago, and felt it was ready to use, finally. A very lightweight Indian batik with a Western motif. I ordered a bunch of fabric today from Fabric.com to make eight more of these shirts. Woowoo! It'll be assembly line sewing next week.



Posted by Picasa

13 comments:

  1. I read this blog.It really informative for us.This tiny shirt designs look so beautiful.I really like this colorful fabric designs..

    myob courses

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tres cute! Love the pattern. You're looking great, Mel! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beth in TN8:41 AM

    Is that a current pattern? I am always looking for shirts in this style--why not make my own???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice! Love the fabric, and glad you and your family are safe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mechelle10:26 AM

    very cute camp shirt - nice fit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice shirt, and it looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking good, skinny girl! Some fast sewing there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking good!
    Can you share what pattern that is? It looks like it would be great for warm weather!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous3:38 PM

    I love these batiks that are printed over a colorful plaid. I'm using it for a quilt back. Your shirt looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous3:38 PM

    I love these batiks that are printed over a colorful plaid. I'm using it for a quilt back. Your shirt looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very very cute. I'm dropping by and now following you. would love to have you come visit and perhaps follow back? Take care, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  12. I couldn't make a piece of clothing to..well..clothe myself, so I am green with envy at your skills. And the fabric is so cool. (and you look fabulous). :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I used to have some fabric like that!

    ReplyDelete

Hello,
So nice of you to drop by. I love your comments, and if you would really like a reply, please email me at fibermania at g mail dot com