Sunday, December 13, 2009

Beginner's TV Tech


We have four TVs. Ridiculous I know, but we stay home A LOT and that's my excuse. Two of these digital TV's have these blue rectangles on the back which are called something technical, but for our purposes I'll just call them outlets. The cable 'plug' in my hand is a leftover from my deceased digital projector but is available at any Radio Shack or Best Buy or even some advanced Wal-Marts. I don't know what they are called either. But just ask for a cable to connect your digital TV to your laptop, to use your TV as a monitor.
Wha?
So here's the deal. Yes you can use a big screen digital tv as your computer monitor and do surfing or email or even work on it, from your favorite chair. But even more interesting to me is that you can watch TV shows that are available online as I did yesterday.
I watched missed episodes of Glee, House and Castle and then went over to Netflix and browsed the zillions of movies available to watch with instant download. I invited Dave to join me and we watched 13 Days (Kevin Costner) about the Cuban missle crisis of 1962. Good for a nap, but once I woke up I liked the rest of it.
Hulu.com is a great place to find stuff to watch. Movies, tv, documentaries, even HBO. Of course you can do this on any computer, but the big screen and not having to have the laptop on your lap is what makes this so fun. At least to me.

8 comments:

  1. 4 TV's ... hmmm (drum roll) We have 7 TV's .... we are bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOOPS Correction we have 8 TV's ... forgot about the one on our screened in porch for summer viewing. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watch most of my tv online these days on a site called fastpasstv.com so I get to see HBO and other shows that aren't seen in Canada. I have a 17" wide screen laptop that is great for watching tv or movies on and it's generally on a table insted of my lap. I like it better than the tv for watching dvds (but then I don't have a widescreen tv).

    ReplyDelete
  4. A few months ago my husband got one of those cables as well. We hooked up the laptop to the tv so that we could watch the online streaming video from a friend's race back East. Some of our other friends were with us so it was a great party. Much, much better than huddling around the computer screen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have you been to www.countrychannel.tv? Search for "Talking Threads" and you'll find a great series of short programmes featuring UK textile artists.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Honey!
    I hadn't read the blog yesterday but Roger was talking about your cool idea. This idea is right up his alley. Hulu is a great resource. Such fun to watch. Especially since there's nothing but crap on tv. I am excited that The Closer is back for a few episodes though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Let me see... we have at least 7, counting the 42" we just got, so I can actually see the screen from the dining room, AND read the credits if I want! I should introduce you to my hubby, the inveterate movie collector, who had to have a huge shed built when we moved here to house 'the collection'!

    ReplyDelete
  8. There's only one lonely little tv here, but we watch plenty on line. We love Netflix, Hulu. Our new fav is stagevu. We've watched things there that we couldn't get instantly elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete

Hello,
So nice of you to drop by. I love your comments, and if you would really like a reply, please email me at fibermania at g mail dot com